AntiAlias feature should be improved

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
nik

AntiAlias feature should be improved

Post by nik » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:12 pm

First, thanks for a great product :D

We are working on a commercial application where nice graphics is a selling parameter. A crucial element to make graphics look nice is so-called "anti-aliasing", which makes borders look smooth, sharp and crisp.

It was with much interest I saw that anti-aliasing has been added to TeeChart, so I have now investigated the matter.

As I understand it, what you offer is some functions for re-sampling bitmaps/graphical elements, using some downsampling algorithm. To accomplish something that looks like the original this implies first making everyting twice the size, then resample it.

My feedback on this is:
* It is too complicated, compared to just setting an "Anti-alias" property on the chart.
* Down-sampling fonts that are already anti-aliased makes them look distorted (like paint that is not waterproof)
* Your demo application has an example: The pie looks good, but the legend is all screwed up.

We depend heavily on your TeeChart component, and in that sense it is crucial for us, that your component is up to date, so that our software can stay up to date.

I would like to get you feedback on the following:
* Have I missed something?
* Will you make anti-aliasing an out-of-the-box feature some time soon?
* Will you consider implementing a better algorithm?
* Will you make sure that turning on anti-aliasing has no other effects on the chart apart from making them look better?

Best regards
Nik

Marc

Post by Marc » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:50 pm

Hello Nik,

As things currently stand it is unlikely that there will be a substantial near-term change to current anti-alias functionality in the VCL version of TeeChart. The Windows GDI used by the default TeeChart Canvas does not offer anti-alias support.

GDI+ does offer anti-alias support. There is a demo included with TeeChart 7 (under 'demo's), TeeChartGDIPlus.exe (with sourcecode) that uses a prototype TeeChart Canvas for GDI+. There are still some outstanding issues reported with implementing the GDI+ Canvas for general use but it does function well for most Chart applications.

Regards,
Marc Meumann
Steema Support