Loading data time - taking so long

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
Matt Venkat

Loading data time - taking so long

Post by Matt Venkat » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:05 am

Hi,

I just want to know how long does it take to load a data file and plot the data points on the fastline graph?

My program is using FastLine Graph and data file has 1.5M in size. From exported excel file analysis, there will be 77,000 data points. It would only take a second to draw all those data point in excel graph.

Why is my program is takeing 7 or 8 sec to plot those data on the graph?

I am using Delphi 2010 and v2010 pro version.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Loading data time - taking so long

Post by Narcís » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:20 am

Hi Matt,

When loading data from datasource TeeChart internally populates series point by point as you'd do manually. You would probably enhance your application performance following what is suggested in the Real-time Charting article here. It would be ideal if you could load your data file into an array and assign it directly to the series as done in the article.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

Matt Venkat

Post by Matt Venkat » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:02 am

Narcís wrote:Hi Matt,

When loading data from datasource TeeChart internally populates series point by point as you'd do manually. You would probably enhance your application performance following what is suggested in the Real-time Charting article here. It would be ideal if you could load your data file into an array and assign it directly to the series as done in the article.
Hi Narcis,

Thanks for the article about real-time charting. I will try to follow the suggestion from the article.

Do you know how long does it take to plot a million data points. What's the expectation loading time for a million data points?

Regards

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:44 am

Hi Matt,

We can not provide absolute values for that is it strongly depends on the power of the machine where the code runs and also the methods used to populate the series. As a benchmark you could run the All Features\Welcome!\Speed examples in the features demo, available the TeeChart program group, on your machine.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum