Not enough storage on resize

TeeChart for ActiveX, COM and ASP
Patrick

Not enough storage on resize

Post by Patrick » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:49 am

Hi,

I get a 'not enough storage is available to process this command' error when resizing TChart7.0.3. It can be reproduced in DotNet WinForms or VB6 in the following way:
1. Ensure color settings on monitor are 'High (32-bit)'
2. On a blank form add a tab control and add about 20 tab pages. Set the Dock settings of the tab control to Fill.
3. On each tab page add a TChart control. Set each tchart to Dock-Fill to fill the tab page.
4. Run the new executable.
5. Maximize the form then start clicking on the tabs to move through the tab pages.
I get this error around the 8th tab or so and the app becomes unusable. If I now turn my color settings down to Medium(16-bit) and restart the exe the problem does not reappear.
This is a problem for me as I have an application which adds a number of Tcharts to a tab control at runtime.

Thanks,
Patrick

edit: I can send you a dotnet repro if you want

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:08 am

Hi Patrick,

I haven't been able to reproduce this following your instructions with TeeChart Pro v7.0.04 ActiveX (latest release available at our customer download area) and a VS.NET C# WinForms project.
edit: I can send you a dotnet repro if you want
Yes please, send a project we can run "as-is" to reproduce the problem here at [url]news://www.steema.net/steema.public.attachments[/url] newsgroup.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

Patrick

Post by Patrick » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:29 am

Repro posted.
Some more info about this bug. In my real application users add charts to the tab control dynamically and the error occurs after adding a certain number of charts.
The number seems to be related to size of the tchart/tab pages. I have the following statistics from a multitude of repro attempts:
If form/chart is maximized over two screens (i use dual ATI Hydravision screens with 1280x1040 res / 32bit color on XP. 1GB physical memory) average number of tab pages / charts to reproduce error is 12 approx.
If chart is maximized on one screen only average number to reproduce error is 22.
If Windowstate is Normal and chart occupies around 1/4 of the screen then average number of charts to reproduce is over 80!
I have upgraded my graphics drivers with no effect.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:26 pm

Hi Patrick,

Thank you very much for your example. However I haven't been able to reproduce the problem here.

What I did is running your example, maximizing it and switching tabs for a while either with the mouse and the cursor. Should I try something different to reproduce this problem here?

I'm running it on a Pentium IV 3.2 GHz machine, with a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 256 Mb. graphic card, 1 GB RAM, 32 bit color and 1280x1024 resolution. The OS I'm using on that machine is Win 2003 Server Enterprise and Windows XP Professional SP2. I tested your application with both operating systems.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

Patrick

Post by Patrick » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:17 am

OK thanks for looking at it.
I have a similar spec machine to yours except it has dual monitors and an ATI Radeon graphics card. The bug is easiest to reproduce if the chart is maximized over 2 monitors (ie. using more than one monitor). Also it is related to the amount of physical memory / resources remaining.
To reproduce it I load many aplications so that around 800MB of my 1GB physical is used up then load sample, maximize over 2 screens. Click through each tab then resize the form with the mouse in a fairly random manner. I guess you might not be able to reproduce with single monitor / different graphics card.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:06 am

Hi Patrick,

I was able to easily reproduce the problem testing your project with dual monitor setting. I've already added it to our bug list to be fixed for future releases. BTW: I've also checked that using TeeChart for .NET v2 in VS.NET 2003 doesn't give that error.
Best Regards,
Steema Software