Problems moving to XE6 with 2014

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
Metman
Advanced

Problems moving to XE6 with 2014

Post by Metman » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:27 pm

Hi

I am having problems improving the sharpness and clarity of graphs that were reasonably good when using TeeChart 8.

I thought it would be as easy as dropping a GDIPlus or TeeOpenGL (non-visual) component on the form and then hooking up to the chart.

When I try it using either method any text, labels and titles that I had in my chart disappear in the IDE as I make it active, and are also missing when I build and run the application. Is this a problem with my development system - I'm running on Windows 7 - or am I missing something?
old code.png
Bare bones app
old code.png (61.6 KiB) Viewed 7463 times
GDI Plus.png
Using GDI Plus
GDI Plus.png (107.02 KiB) Viewed 7448 times
Open GL.png
Using Open GL
Open GL.png (99.58 KiB) Viewed 7451 times
Bruce.

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems moving to XE6 with 2014

Post by Yeray » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:45 am

Hi Bruce,

This is with XE6 and TeeChart v2014.11?
Could you please arrange a simple example project we can run as-is to reproduce the problem here?
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software
Av. Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia (SP)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Please read our Bug Fixing Policy

Metman
Advanced

Post by Metman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:19 pm

Hi Yeray

Yes it's version 2014.11. I'll send you a project.

Bruce.

Metman
Advanced

Post by Metman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:00 pm

Hi Yeray

Here's a test project:
Capture1.png
Screen shot
Capture1.png (75.04 KiB) Viewed 7411 times
I've attached the zip source but all I've done is dropped two charts on a form connected the top one to GDI+ and the bottom chart to Open GL and added some sample data,

There seems to be a bit of a lag when the test application first opens and I'm only adding 100 sample points to each chart.

The GDI+ is the top one and now looks better. The grid lines are blurred but sharpen when anti-aliasing is set false.

The Open GL is the lower one and although the graphics look OK, the text looks very poor even though anti-aliasing is set true. Setting anti-aliasing to false makes no difference. The other thing I've noticed is that the component occasionally goes black in the IDE.

Frustratingly to me, all this test proves is that I can't upgrade from 2008 to v2014.11 without having to rebuild every Chart component that I use from the ground up (and I use hundreds) because they won't seamlessly upgrade.

Bruce.

PS The PC I have is running Windows 7 and has a NVidia GeForce GT 530 graphics card.
Chart.zip
Test Project
(59.95 KiB) Downloaded 615 times

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:09 am

Hi Bruce,
Metman wrote:There seems to be a bit of a lag when the test application first opens and I'm only adding 100 sample points to each chart.
This has always been like that, isn't it? OpenGL needs some time to initialize.
Metman wrote:The GDI+ is the top one and now looks better. The grid lines are blurred but sharpen when anti-aliasing is set false.
You may be interested on looking at this discussion.
Metman wrote:The Open GL is the lower one and although the graphics look OK, the text looks very poor even though anti-aliasing is set true. Setting anti-aliasing to false makes no difference.
This is a known issue with the texts:
http://bugs.teechart.net/show_bug.cgi?id=802
Feel free to add your mail to the CC list to be automatically notified when an update arrives.
Metman wrote:The other thing I've noticed is that the component occasionally goes black in the IDE.
I see it when I click on the chart in your project, but not if I drop a new one, I drop a Line series, I change the Render to OpenGL and I click on the chart.
Metman wrote:Frustratingly to me, all this test proves is that I can't upgrade from 2008 to v2014.11 without having to rebuild every Chart component that I use from the ground up (and I use hundreds) because they won't seamlessly upgrade.
I'm sorry to hear that. We'll try to reproduce and check what's going on in every property or feature you can report us to be changing its behaviour between versions.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software
Av. Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia (SP)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Please read our Bug Fixing Policy