Unable to install TeeChart 2010.0.0.3

TeeChart for ActiveX, COM and ASP
Avelo

Unable to install TeeChart 2010.0.0.3

Post by Avelo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:09 am

Of the 11 licenses we hold, one is supposed to be installed to our software build machine. This machine is a virtual Windows 2000 server (Sp4) machine where we run a build app that recompiles all of our code. Access to this machine is via VNC.

Problem I have is that I'm running the installer, being prompted for license/password, then being prompted for my internet connection (I'm NOT using a proxy) and, when I press Ok to this, the UI disappears and nothing happens. If I check task manager, the typical GLBnnn.tmp task is there, but consuming no CPU time.

I have checked and I can got on the internet with a browser. There is nothing in the event viewer that I can see and no messages are issued from the AV system (Mcaffee VirusScan Enterprise). I have copied the installer off the network share to a local disk (since I know Wise can struggle across networks) and that made no difference.

Any suggestions as to how I get the control installed?

Thanks
Steve

Avelo

Re: Unable to install TeeChart 2010.0.0.3

Post by Avelo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:40 pm

I've had the tech team logon as Administrator and try the install. No difference.

Sadly, this leaves 10 developers without the ability to build their creations!

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:28 pm

Hello Avelo,
Avelo wrote:Of the 11 licenses we hold, one is supposed to be installed to our software build machine. This machine is a virtual Windows 2000 server (Sp4) machine where we run a build app that recompiles all of our code. Access to this machine is via VNC.
I'm not sure to understand the exact situation. You try to install TeeChart in a virtual machine accessing to the host via VNC? Can't you access to the host machine physically to do that?
Avelo wrote:Problem I have is that I'm running the installer, being prompted for license/password, then being prompted for my internet connection (I'm NOT using a proxy) and, when I press Ok to this, the UI disappears and nothing happens. If I check task manager, the typical GLBnnn.tmp task is there, but consuming no CPU time.
Isn't any error message prompted?
Avelo wrote:I have checked and I can got on the internet with a browser. There is nothing in the event viewer that I can see and no messages are issued from the AV system (Mcaffee VirusScan Enterprise). I have copied the installer off the network share to a local disk (since I know Wise can struggle across networks) and that made no difference.
Avelo wrote:I've had the tech team logon as Administrator and try the install. No difference.
Try disabling the antivirus to run the installation as administrator. Note that it needs to write to the registry so the antivirus (or other security software) may be blocking the installer at this point.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software
Av. Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia (SP)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Please read our Bug Fixing Policy

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:37 pm

Hi Avelo,

For using the installer activation you may need to set up proxy configuration. Anyway, you can just copy TeeChart2010.ocx to the virtual machine and manually register it using regsvr32 as explained here.

If this doesn't help don't hesitate to let us know.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

Avelo

Post by Avelo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:43 pm

Yeray, sorry, then environment is that we have ten developers working on their own (win7) machines. These have installed correctly. When we need a compiled version of the application, we rebuild it using an automated build program on a Windows 2000 Server machine. This is a VM, so there is no physical access. The only access we have is via VNC. I am connecting to the server VM and running the install

I have tried installing using our usual logon (which has admin rights and is the user we normally install software with) and using the Administrator logon, with and without McAffee enabled.

What happens is that the install starts, I am prompted to enter my serial number and password. I am them prompted for the internet connection. I press Ok to this and the internet prompt disappears. Nothing else happens. There are no error messages and nothing in the event viewer. If I look in task manager, there are two tasks; "TeeChart2010.0." and "GLBBC2.tmp". The GLBxxx.tmp I recognise as being a Wise installer process.

No folders are created, so nothing can have been installed yet.

These two processes sit there. They are not accumulating either memory or CPU time, so I assume they are stalled.

I've fired up internet explorer and can access the internet. I have fired up regedit and can access the registry.

Narcis... This is a development machine so we'll be compiling code against the OCX. I'm happy to copy the ocx over and register it manually, but surely we won't be able to compile apps that reference it in a development environment.

I suppose it's possible that the problem si with the age of the machine. Do you support Windows 2000 Server?

I have a project to upgrade this machine to server 2003 and may be able to bring this forward to this week. Perhaps that'll deal with the problem.

Steve

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:16 am

Hi Steve,
I'm happy to copy the ocx over and register it manually, but surely we won't be able to compile apps that reference it in a development environment.
I'm sorry but I don't understand why. Actually, what the installer does with the ocx is registering it so why shouldn't you be able to compile such applications?
I suppose it's possible that the problem si with the age of the machine. Do you support Windows 2000 Server?
I wouldn't expect any problem here.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

Avelo

Post by Avelo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:23 am

Narcís wrote:Hi Steve,
I'm happy to copy the ocx over and register it manually, but surely we won't be able to compile apps that reference it in a development environment.
I'm sorry but I don't understand why. Actually, what the installer does with the ocx is registering it so why shouldn't you be able to compile such applications?
Probably my fault. I'm making thje assumption that, if I just copy the ocx and register it, I wouldn't be able to use it in design mode in VB6. I'll copy over my local copy, register it and see wat happens when I load the control in to a VB6 project. I just assumed that, like most controls, the license wouldn't let me use the control in design mode.

Thanks
Steve

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:33 am

Hi Steve,

No, manually registering the ocx should suffice.
Best Regards,
Steema Software