XE installation problems

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
bfrost

XE installation problems

Post by bfrost » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:11 pm

Hi, I've just installed TeeChart 2010 in XE but I'm having problems with unit visibility to my (existing working) code.
I'm using Windows 7 64-bit.
There were no errors during installation and I can put a chart on a form, add a series and run the application - although no series is displayed.
Teechart is showing installed at:
c:\program files (x86)\Steema Software\TeeChart 2010 for Delphi 2011\Delphi15\Bin\DclTeePro915.bpl

If I add a TChartPreviewer to my form this adds 'TeeEdit' to the uses list but I then get 'File not found TeeEdit.dcu.

Can you help please?
Thanks.

bfrost

Re: XE installation problems

Post by bfrost » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:45 am

Well, I have to say that your excellent charting code is really let down by your installer. I'm installing over V8 and on Delphi 7, 2010 and XE under Win7-64 and its a mess.
V8 worked fine in D7 and D2010 but in adding V2010 - using the binary installers - I got different errors in each of the IDE's. I then discovered TeeRecompile.exe in the source folder which is very useful but also fails to add a path to the lib folder in XE. By using the instructions in INSTALL.TXT with the binary installer I began to learn what the IDE actually needs so I deleted all TeeChart files from everywhere (cant you do this for me as an option?) and then used ONLY the source code TeeRecompile to make my files.
STILL it fails in XE and I find that I have to move your paths to /bin and /lib to BEFORE the $(BDSLIB)\$(Platform)\release lib in the libary decarations. Why?
I still get errors from the Developer Express setup installation to do with printing but I'm ignoring this for now.
This has taken me a long time and is very messy to document.
Could I PLEASE ask for a utility which will delete ALL TeeChart files to enable me to make a clean install of your latest code? Or a better installer....
Brian.

Jays

Post by Jays » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:43 pm

bfrost,

I had the same problems using Delphi XE and TeeChart2010 on Win7 X64.

The main reason for the trouble was that the "$(BDSLIB)\$(Platform)\release" directory contains old teechart units from original Delphi XE installation. Since I new that before installing the 2010 version I tried to uninstall the old version of teeChart. But I was not able to. To Steema: Is there any possibility to remove the original version of teechart that comes with XE first?

I have attached a screenshot where I renamed the old tee files (with a leading #). I am not sure if I found all or if I renamed too many (anybody has a list?)

But after this everything worked fine (with one exception I posted 10 minutes ago: gradient problem).

Now you can move your teechart lib and bin folders in the library declarations of IDE where you want.

regards
Jo
Attachments
RenamingOldTeeFiles.png
RenamingOldTeeFiles.png (122.66 KiB) Viewed 7709 times

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:07 pm

Hello,

The TeeChart installer tries to unselect any TeeChart package selected in the IDE's package list, it tries to backup the files from the TeeChart Standard the comes with the IDE and it also adds the library and include paths to the IDE.
In the case of RAD Studio XE, I've seen that for some reason the installer isn't creating the mentioned backup. I've added it to the wish list to be implemented in future releases (TE52015455).
A part from this, the installer generally works fine. Of course, as more TeeChart installations, uninstallations, manual modifications,... done in an IDE, more possibilities for the installer to not to do a "perfect" job.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software
Av. Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia (SP)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Please read our Bug Fixing Policy

bfrost

Post by bfrost » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:12 pm

I'd be happy to see a 'remove all' option though. I've no interest in keeping old versions - if I want them I'll reinstall them - your code is so stable that once I've updated it I have no problems with my Apps, so being able to 'zap' any pre-existing TeeChart stuff would suit me fine.
Brian.

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:41 am

Hi Brian,

Okay. I've added the possibility to create a "cleaning tool" to the wish list to be implemented in future releases (TE52015456).
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software
Av. Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia (SP)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Please read our Bug Fixing Policy

bfrost

Post by bfrost » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:08 pm

Great, Thanks.