Problems with ColorGrid in v2010

TeeChart for ActiveX, COM and ASP
Luke@1962

Problems with ColorGrid in v2010

Post by Luke@1962 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:36 am

I'm having some problems with ColorGrid v2010 having been a long term ActiveX user and upgrading from v7.

1. It adds a row and column to the grids, additional to the data in the series. That is a row and a columns extends beyond the maximum numbers in the data series.

2. Doesn't plot all the grid lines for some grids (the bigger ones).

This release seems quite buggy; the VC++ project update facility didn't work. I had to manually find out the class IDs and then go through all my dialogs changing the v7 IDs over to the v2010 IDs with a text editor. The help files don't link correctly; the Teechart v2010 tutorials chm file tries to link to the v8 .hlp file but can't find it. It should be link to the v2010 equivalents (I'm not sure these have had any significant work performed on them anyway). There have been a number of crashes with the activex control.

I've tried adding a file with screenshots of problems 1 & 2 but couldn't find a file format that would be accepted.

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems with ColorGrid in v2010

Post by Yeray » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:47 pm

Hi Luke,
Luke@1962 wrote:I've tried adding a file with screenshots of problems 1 & 2 but couldn't find a file format that would be accepted.
If you still have these images, they would be helpful.
You can either post your files at news://www.steema.net/steema.public.attachments newsgroup or at our upload page.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software
Av. Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia (SP)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Please read our Bug Fixing Policy

Luke@1962

Post by Luke@1962 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:51 pm

Here are some screenshots of the problems in my first post. The data goes to 2 in x and y but the grid adds a row and column so that it goes to 3 in both directions. Colorgrid didn't do this in v7.
colorgrid problems.JPG
colorgrid problems.JPG (33.74 KiB) Viewed 7569 times
This demonstrates the missing gridlines issue by comparing two plots of identical data and identical code (except one is using AXv7 and the other AXv2010)
colorgrid problems 2.JPG
Missing gridlines
colorgrid problems 2.JPG (82.04 KiB) Viewed 7577 times

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:20 am

Hi Luke,
Luke@1962 wrote:1. It adds a row and column to the grids, additional to the data in the series. That is a row and a columns extends beyond the maximum numbers in the data series.
Luke@1962 wrote:The data goes to 2 in x and y but the grid adds a row and column so that it goes to 3 in both directions. Colorgrid didn't do this in v7.
I'm running this code in TeeChart v7.0.1.4 and v2010.0.0.2 and I got the same result that I think is the expected:

Code: Select all

Private Sub Form_Load()
  TeeCommander1.ChartLink = TChart1.ChartLink

TChart1.Aspect.View3D = False
  TChart1.Legend.Visible = False

TChart1.AddSeries scColorGrid

Dim nCols, nRows, x, z As Integer
  nCols = 3
  nRows = 3
  For x = 0 To nCols - 1
    For z = 0 To nRows - 1
      TChart1.Series(0).asColorGrid.AddXYZ x, 0, z, "", clTeeColor
    Next z
  Next x

TChart1.Series(0).Marks.Visible = True
End Sub

Private Sub TChart1_OnGetSeriesMark(ByVal SeriesIndex As Long, ByVal ValueIndex As Long, MarkText As String)
  If SeriesIndex <> -1 And ValueIndex <> -1 Then
    With TChart1.Series(SeriesIndex)
      MarkText = "(" + Str$(.XValues.Value(ValueIndex)) + ", " + Str$(.YValues.Value(ValueIndex)) + ", " + Str$(.asColorGrid.ZValues.Value(ValueIndex)) + ")"
    End With
  End If
End Sub
Chart1.png
Chart1.png (7.44 KiB) Viewed 7569 times
You may be interested in reading the explanation here about how to populate this type of series.
Luke@1962 wrote:2. Doesn't plot all the grid lines for some grids (the bigger ones).
Luke@1962 wrote:This demonstrates the missing gridlines issue by comparing two plots of identical data and identical code (except one is using AXv7 and the other AXv2010)
I'm incrementing the nCols and nRows values to 100 (and hiding the marks) and everything looks fine to me:
Chart1.png
Chart1.png (8.58 KiB) Viewed 7572 times
Could you please modify the example above so we can reproduce the problem here? Or could you please send us a simple example project we can run as-is to reproduce the problem here?
Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software

Luke@1962

Post by Luke@1962 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:28 am

Thank you for your consideration of my queries and suggested solutions. My code is almost identical to yours (but in C++). I noted that it only added the column and row when the grid spacing was uniform, if non-uniform it wouldn't do it (that is for me but I realise your example (in VB) is uniformly spaced and doesn't cause the issue). Anyway the workaround was setting the axis max and min, not the best but all I could do. I still have random problems with gridlines in colorgrid; sometimes not plotting them at all no matter what I do. But unfortunately don't have any more time for this at the moment and my users (and I) will have to live with it.

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:31 am

Hi Luke,

If you find time to make a simple example project we can run as-is to reproduce the problem here, we'll be pleased to take a look at it and try to see where is the problem.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software