How many points can be added to series

TeeChart for ActiveX, COM and ASP
Abhijit

How many points can be added to series

Post by Abhijit » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:33 am

Hi,

I am using "TeeChart5Activex" (ver 5.0.6.0) control with Visual c++ (VS2005). Here I am using "Fastline" series to plot the timeseries graphs. It works fine with less number of point but while adding (m_pChart->Series(0)->AddXY(dXAxis, dYAxis , sTime, clTeeColor);) large number points (around 190000) it crash!

May I know is it possible to add that much number of points to the series?
How many numbers of points we can add it to the FastLine series? Is it possible to configure the size of the series?

Thanks in anticipation.

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How many points can be added to series

Post by Yeray » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:22 pm

Hi Abhijit,

There is no limit of number of points imposed by TeeChart but each machine has a memory capacity that imposes this.
Could you please try if the problem is solved or if your application works better with the actual evaluation version?
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software
Av. Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia (SP)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Please read our Bug Fixing Policy

Abhijit

Post by Abhijit » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:33 pm

Hi Yeray,

My machine RAM is 4GB.

what should I try? I am using "TeeChart Pro ActiveX 5" version(5.0.6.0). [for which I am having license]

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:44 pm

Hi Abhijit,
My machine RAM is 4GB.
I think plotting 190000 points in FastLine series shouldn't be a problem and less considering this memory amount .
what should I try? I am using "TeeChart Pro ActiveX 5" version(5.0.6.0). [for which I am having license]
As Yeray suggested you could try if TeeChart Pro v8 ActiveX evaluation version solves the problem. You can download the fully functional evaluation version here:

http://www.steema.com/downloads/form_ax_eval.html

If the problem persists please attach a simple example project we can run "as-is" to reproduce the problem here.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

Abhijit

Post by Abhijit » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:30 am

Hi Narcis,

Thanks for the suggestion, but the problem we my application is part of Software suite were we have multiple application using "Teechart Pro ActiveX 5" as common.
Even if my single application use latest version will not solve the problem for others and it is not easy replace previous version of Teechart.

I think the problem is not with plotting around 250000 points on single graph using Teechart control, but what if there are more than 20 graphs each have to plot around 250000 of points using Teechart control. I hope it will cause the memory issue with Teechart control to hold that much amount of data.

FYI:
I am using API "m_pChart->Series(0)->AddXY(dXAxis, dYAxis , sTime.AllocSysString(), clTeeColor);" to add points to the Fastline series.

I hope you understand my problem. How to handle this situation?

Abhijit

Post by Abhijit » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:27 pm

Hi Out there,

I hope I am not clear with my question, hence no reply :(.

One addition the real problem I found while adding large data points to chart/series using method "AddXY" is that if you specify the "label" parameter (not NULL) then it takes lots of memory and also decrease in the performance. I tried "AddXY" without adding label to it and it seems working for me. But that don't solve my problem because need label to be added to chart.

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Hi Abhijit,

I recommend you to take a look at the Real-time Charting article where some interesting tips are described in order to improve the performance when having a big amount of data. In particular I'd recommend you to set autorepaint=false and force the chart to be repainted when you've finished adding values. Otherwise, the chart is repainted after each point addition.

Regarding the difference you are denoting with AddXY method "with labels", could you please send us a simple example project we can run as-is to reproduce this here?
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software
Av. Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia (SP)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Please read our Bug Fixing Policy