Allowing End Users to Save Graph Settings

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
DataInspector

Allowing End Users to Save Graph Settings

Post by DataInspector » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:40 pm

I have an application that allows users to query a database containing environmental quality data. That data is then fed to a TeeChart through a client dataset. The user can then move from sample to sample using a listbox to look at chemical trends via TeeChart. The charts are used for quick evaluations, and eventually find their way into reports to our clients, regulators, and the public. Based on the medium (print, powerpoint, etc) each user would like the ability to set different colors, line thickness, panel colors, fonts, etc. I allow the users to do this using the TeeCommander, but none of the changes every stick, even within a session. (For example, when one sets a line color or point shape in one chart, then moves to another chart via a list box choice, and then back, all of the settings are lost.)

I have tried SaveChartToFile and LoadChartFromFile, but it is not as powerful as I had hoped. If I choose not to include the data, I only get some of the settings to stick, like Title fonts and colors, axis settings, panel colors, but the line settings (colors, point shapes, line thickness) are all lost. Including the data is too restrictive, as it is a static dataset at that point.

What other options do we have? I noticed that this topic has been a theme for some time now on the forum.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Allowing End Users to Save Graph Settings

Post by Narcís » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:27 am

Hi DataInspector,

TeeChart VCL doesn't have the custom themes feature TeeChart for .NET has. It is already in the wish-list to be considered for inclusion in future releases. However, you can currently export a TeeChart template file (*.tee) and choose whether or not you want to include data with it. Moreover, if you import a *tee file with data you can later remove it by clearing series data or removing all series in the chart and adding specific series and data for the new chart.

Hope this helps!
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

DataInspector

Post by DataInspector » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:49 pm

Can one essentially establish a theme at run time, by capturing information from the TeeCommander, or by saving specific settings in a data table?

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:17 am

Hi DataInspector,

To save modifications made to a chart at runtime you can:

- Save the chart to a .tee (as Narcís told to you) or a memory stream to save the chart characteristics.
- Then you can also save the chart to an .xml to save the series and its data.
- Then, when you want, you could import the tee file and, after that, if you want you can import the xml.

Doing that way, you'll be able to save the chart and the series characteristics, and if you want you can remove the series data or not.

- In addition to any of the above methods, you can save manually all the properties you wish into arrays, a datatable,...
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software
Av. Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia (SP)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Please read our Bug Fixing Policy

DataInspector

Post by DataInspector » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:07 pm

Thanks for your input. I may have to go the datatable route for the following reasons (some of which you may want to consider when you revise the program to incorporate your "wish list"). In a production setting like ours, we have users that update their charts on a monthly basis as new data becomes available. As it stands now, they have to pull out the old chart and make the needed changes in settings to make it look like the previous version which is time consuming and frustrating to the user. We don't simply want to see just the old data, but the new data as well, so including the old data in the chart doesn't seem to make sense either.

I like your tools and have used them for over a decade; however, my primary complaint is that the development teams may not take into account the day-to-day needs of the end users. I have been tracking my "wish list" items for many years now and none of them ever seem to progress beyond the "wish list".

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:27 pm

Hi DataInspector,
Thanks for your input. I may have to go the datatable route for the following reasons (some of which you may want to consider when you revise the program to incorporate your "wish list"). In a production setting like ours, we have users that update their charts on a monthly basis as new data becomes available. As it stands now, they have to pull out the old chart and make the needed changes in settings to make it look like the previous version which is time consuming and frustrating to the user. We don't simply want to see just the old data, but the new data as well, so including the old data in the chart doesn't seem to make sense either.
I think implementing themes as in the .NET version should solve this issue. However, using current TeeChart native template files for saving charts aspect, clearing data from series (or removing series if necessary) and populating chart again should do the trick. Does this fit your needs or there's something I'm still missing here?
I like your tools and have used them for over a decade; however, my primary complaint is that the development teams may not take into account the day-to-day needs of the end users. I have been tracking my "wish list" items for many years now and none of them ever seem to progress beyond the "wish list".
Would you be so kind to let us know about those features you requested so that we can re-evaluate their status in the list?

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

DataInspector

Post by DataInspector » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:27 pm

I am exploring the option of importing the .tee file with data now, but the first chart that I tried was developed to print in tabloid format and when I brought it in it completely covered the buttons I used to get to the editor, so I have some work to do there before I'll really understand if that works.

My thread for the wish list item began under the user name CAC in 2006. I have been in need of Trilinear plots (and now Tetrahdral plots). They are used to plot three values (or four values in the case of tetrahedral plots) against one another to see how groups of data correlate. I just checked the wish list forum and see that trilinear plots have progressed up the list lately.

Thanks!

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:37 am

Hi DataInspector,

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, ternary series have been implemented for next TeeChart Pro VCL major release. This is already available in TeeChart for .NET 2009 (see screenshot below) and has been also implemented in VCL version.

Best Regards,
Steema Software

DataInspector

Post by DataInspector » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:09 pm

Great! I can't wait to get my hands on it.