Print preview does not allow to adjust margins

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
ibauer

Print preview does not allow to adjust margins

Post by ibauer » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:40 am

Hello,

When a print preview form is displayed for my chart, it does not allow me to change the print margins: If I try to resize the margins with mouse, the original chart size is restored as soon as I release the left mouse button. Changing them directly in the edit boxed is possible, however it has no effect. I can't even drag the chart with mouse to change its position on the virtual paper.

What am I doing wrong?

TeeChart.VCL Pro 8.02, RAD Studio 2007 (Delphi for Win32)

ibauer

Post by ibauer » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:07 am

OK, I've just found that this is not my fault, but a newly introduced bug in TeeChart 8, oh well. I'm in process of upgrading my projects to TeeChart 8 and I need this to work as before.

At the end of may you wrote in another post on these forums that this bug is partially fixed in 8.03 whose release is imminent. However, the latest version I can find in my private download area is 8.02. This begs the question: Where can I get a hold of 8.03?

A related question: Have you already managed to fix the remaining problem, i.e. that the margins cannot be changed properly via the edit boxes on the preview form? This should be a matter of a couple of minutes even for inexperienced developer.

Thank you!

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:04 am

Hi ibauer,
At the end of may you wrote in another post on these forums that this bug is partially fixed in 8.03 whose release is imminent. However, the latest version I can find in my private download area is 8.02. This begs the question: Where can I get a hold of 8.03?
v8.03 release was delaied becaues we found that some bug fixes for that version had broken and also other features and few other important bugs were found. So we decided to fix them before publishing the version. The new version (v8.04) is almost ready now and we expect to release it very soon.

In the meantime I'll send you the URL to download v8.03 test version.
A related question: Have you already managed to fix the remaining problem, i.e. that the margins cannot be changed properly via the edit boxes on the preview form? This should be a matter of a couple of minutes even for inexperienced developer.
Yes, I think so. I'll send you v8.04 beta sources so that you can check it yourself.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

ibauer

Post by ibauer » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:44 pm

narcis wrote:Yes, I think so. I'll send you v8.04 beta sources so that you can check it yourself.
Thanks for the sources. I've downloaded and installed version 8.04.11395 into my Delphi 2007. A couple of remarks:

(1) Chart image can now be dragged with mouse to specify its placement on a virtual paper. Print margins can now be adjusted by dragging with the mouse. Finally I got to the point where I have been with version 7.

(2) Adjusting margins via text boxes has no effect. In other words this bug has not been fixed yet. Any chance that the fix will find its way into soon-to-be-released v8.04?

(3) What is the "Proportional" check box supposed to do? It seems to me that when checked, the print margins are reset to their default values much like what "Reset Margins" button does. Could you please explain me why is it there?

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:25 am

Hi ibauer,
(2) Adjusting margins via text boxes has no effect. In other words this bug has not been fixed yet. Any chance that the fix will find its way into soon-to-be-released v8.04?
This works fine for me here both at designtime and runtime. Could you please let me know the exact steps I should follow to reproduce the issue here?
(3) What is the "Proportional" check box supposed to do? It seems to me that when checked, the print margins are reset to their default values much like what "Reset Margins" button does. Could you please explain me why is it there?
PrintProportional property sets the print dimensions of the chart to be proportional to the onscreen dimensions. Yes, the preview panel editor's "Proportional" checkbox also resets the margins.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

ibauer

Post by ibauer » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:15 pm

narcis wrote:
ivobauer wrote:(2) Adjusting margins via text boxes has no effect. In other words this bug has not been fixed yet. Any chance that the fix will find its way into soon-to-be-released v8.04?
This works fine for me here both at designtime and runtime. Could you please let me know the exact steps I should follow to reproduce the issue here?
I just recompiled Examples\Features\Tee8New.exe demo application against the new updated 8.04 beta sources. Run this demo, select "All features" tab and select "Printing" -> "Preview dialog" and click the "Preview dialog..." button to display the print preview form. Typing a value into edit boxes does not update margins nor does the clicking on the spin edit arrows. It simply does not work as expected. :?

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:49 pm

Hi ibauer,

I checked it again and works fine for me here. I've updated v8.04 beta sources at the URL I sent you. Could you please try downloading and installing them? Also please check that your Delphi is not referencing old TeeChart versions at Project->Options->Packages and Project->Options->Directories/Conditionals->Search Path.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

ibauer

Post by ibauer » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:50 pm

Narcís,

I appreciate your effort, but either I'm doing something wrong or you sent me the wrong sources or the bug is apparently still there. I downloaded the most recent beta sources from the URI you had given to me, rebuilt packages and reinstalled into my Delphi IDE, but the thing does not work. Neither typing the values into edit boxes nor clicking on the spin edit arrows has any effect with regard to print margins. Yes, I made sure that the Delphi IDE as well as the project options reference correct packages/paths and not any other ones.

Can you send me your compiled demo application that does not suffer from this issue so that I can have a look at it, please?

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:41 am

Hi ibauer,

Ok, I'll send you the URL for downloading it.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

ibauer

Post by ibauer » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:42 am

OK, I've downloaded your compiled demo and it works here as expected, which is strange. Narcís, could you please double check that the source code you gave me is really the same version you used to compile the demo application?

I'm pretty sure that I unistalled all other versions of TeeChart from Delphi, removed any reference to the lib or source folders, deleted all those folders including the compiled units and binary package files from my entire hard drive. I'm also pretty sure that the Delphi IDE references to correct lib/bin directories. Changing margins via edit boxes does work neither at design time nor at run time. I'm slowly running out of clues. :(

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:00 am

Hi ibauer,

I'm pretty sure of that. Anyway, just in case of any file update problem I've removed the zip package from our server, done it again and now I'm uploading it. I'll send you an e-mail with the URL.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

ibauer

Post by ibauer » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:20 pm

I have just download the ZIP with a size of 6 632 058 bytes (the previous ZIP that should have been of ther same size was 6 632 032 bytes long). Again, purged the existing version from the IDE and hard drive as well, recompiled the most recent source code, but still does not work, not even at design time.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:41 pm

Hi ibauer,

The only think I can think of is that your IDE and/or your project are still referencing old TeeChart packages either at Project->Options->Packages, at Project->Options->Directories/Conditionals->Search Path or at Tools->Environment Options\Library\Library Path.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

ibauer

Post by ibauer » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:22 pm

narcis wrote:The only think I can think of is that your IDE and/or your project are still referencing old TeeChart packages either at Project->Options->Packages, at Project->Options->Directories/Conditionals->Search Path or at Tools->Environment Options\Library\Library Path.
Nope, that is not the case. I have checked this many many times before. As I already stated, all sources and binaries pertaining to old TeeChart versions were explicitely deleted from my harddrive and both Delphi IDE as well as TeeChart demo project reference only newly compiled files in \lib and \bin folders.

I also noticed that your compiled EXE is about 20 MB in sizem whereas the same EXE compiled on my machine with Delphi 2007 has only about 10 MB. What could be the cause of this difference?

Could you please recompile the latest beta TeeChart sources for me using TeeRecompile.exe tool and send me the contents of your "Sources" folder including the "Compiled\Delphi11" subfolder? I'm interested in DCUs, DCPs, etc. for RAD Studio 2007 (Delphi for Win32). I will try to install those packages into my Delphi IDE and then recompile the TeeChart demo against them here to see if it works.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:32 am

Hi ibauer,
I also noticed that your compiled EXE is about 20 MB in sizem whereas the same EXE compiled on my machine with Delphi 2007 has only about 10 MB. What could be the cause of this difference?

The demo I build has Build with runtime packages checkbox disabled at Project->Options->Packages. Could you please check you demo settings?
Could you please recompile the latest beta TeeChart sources for me using TeeRecompile.exe tool and send me the contents of your "Sources" folder including the "Compiled\Delphi11" subfolder? I'm interested in DCUs, DCPs, etc. for RAD Studio 2007 (Delphi for Win32). I will try to install those packages into my Delphi IDE and then recompile the TeeChart demo against them here to see if it works.
Ok, I'll upload the packages now. I'll send you an e-mail when it's done. You can use TeeInstall.exe included to install the packages to your IDE.
Best Regards,
Steema Software