Black (transparant) background and themes

TeeChart for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, Xamarin Studio (Android, iOS & Forms) & Monodevelop.
Adrian

Black (transparant) background and themes

Post by Adrian » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:11 pm

Applying a theme to a chart seems to corrupt it in that the background visible and/or transparant settings are changed. When I go to the themes tab in the chart editor and select a theme the preview is correctly shown, however if I then change the color palette the background of the preview goes to grey (i.e. transparant). After this, setting the color palette back again does not clear the problem. Interestingly enough if I apply the theme and close the editor, it appears correctly on the chart. If I then reopen the editor the background of the chart greys out again.

I believe it's some setting in my chart before I open the editor but I don't know what. I have created a new chart and before opening the editor exported the ten file, I've uploaded this to my website.

If you open the Feature Demo program and go to All Features --> Importing --> Chart --> From Url and enter

Code: Select all

http://www.captelldevelopments.com/ftp/sample.ten
click Import you will see the chart. Now double click the yellow bit at the top of the window to get the chart editor.

go to Themes tab and select Blues, the preview is shown correctly using the default Opera color palette.

now change the color palette to Windows Vista. the background greys out.

Change back to Opera and it's not fixed.

Close the editor and reImport the chart ten file again and look at the Panel background settings in the editor, Transparant is checked, this is something I'm not settings explicitly in my code. Now, uncheck Transparant and click the Pattern button, goto the Solid tab, Visible is checked but Transparancy is set to 100%, this is also something that I don't set explicitly in my app. Set Transparancy to 0 and choose a solid color. The chart changes to reflect the new colour, all good so far, close the Hatch Brush Editor.

Now go to themes tab, choose blues and change the color palette to Windows Vista, the preview background greys out, click apply (the chart looks ok) and close, strangely enough the chart sort of looks ok. Now resize the window, the background of the chart greys out.

Open the editor again and go to Chart --> Panel --> Background --> click the Pattern button and look at the Visible check box.... It's been cleared. If you check this the chart is corrected. but if you close the editor and resize the window again it reverts to being unchecked...

There is something mighty strange going on here.

This is a pretty critical issue for us, particularly as the transparant background shows up black on our word processor. Cna this be looked into as a matter of urgency please.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:11 am

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for reporting. I could reproduce the issue here and added it (TF02013182) as a high priority item in the defect list to be fixed for next releases.
This is a pretty critical issue for us, particularly as the transparant background shows up black on our word processor. Cna this be looked into as a matter of urgency please.
Which exact TeeChart version are you using? This was issue number TF02013027 which was fixed in build 3.5.3054.17204/5/6 from 12th May 2008 as you can see in the release notes.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:34 am

Hi there,
This problem is using version 3.5.3065.19160. I've looked at
[TF02013027]
Image formats which do not support
transparency (JPG, GIF, BMP) now
render with the panel color rather
than black.
While this seems like part of the problem, I'm still concerned that the visible check box seems to get cleared, can you confirm that this problem [TF02013027] resolves this too.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:16 am

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the information.

The checkbox issue described in your previous message (TF02013182) is a different one than TF02013027.

Regarding the transparent background issue, could you please send us a simple example project we can run "as-is" to reproduce the problem here?

You can either post your files at news://www.steema.net/steema.public.attachments newsgroup or at our upload page.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:23 am

I don't have a simple example, but the problem can be reporduced using the steps I outlined in my first post on this thread.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:42 am

Hello Adrian,

Using this code:

Code: Select all

public Form1()
		{
			InitializeComponent();
			InitializeChart();		
		}

private void InitializeChart()
    {
			Steema.TeeChart.Styles.Line line1 = new Steema.TeeChart.Styles.Line(tChart1.Chart);
			line1.FillSampleValues();

tChart1.Panel.Transparent = true;
			tChart1.Walls.Back.Transparent = true;
			this.BackColor = Color.Red;

tChart1.Export.Image.JPEG.Save(@"c:\temp\adrian.jpg");
    }
I get this image:

Which looks exactly the same when being inserted in a word document.

Does it work fine at your end?

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:44 pm

Sorry Narcis,
I'm not going ot be able to get to this for a few days. However I don't believe there is an issue with your code sample. Charts my app create and generally on in documents etc. this is not where the problem lies. If you follow the steps I laid out above you will see where the problem is, it related to the editor only, if I build charts totally in code then all is well.

follow the steps and you will see that the editor messes things up.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:28 pm

Hi Adrian,

Yes, I have been able to reproduce that before and it's not the same issue. Steps you suggested change chart's panel properties, IMHO that's the problem here (TF02013182).
Best Regards,
Steema Software

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:23 pm

So the two identified problems TF02013182 and TF02013027 will be fixed as a matter of urgency?

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:30 am

Hi Adrian,

TF02013182: This is a high priority item in the bug list but I can't promise an estimate date at the moment. I recommend you to be aware at this forum or subscribe to our RSS news feed for new release announcements and what's fixed on them.

TF02013027: As I already pointed you this was fixed. You may want to try if the code snippet works fine and confirm the black background in exported images is solved at your end.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:38 pm

Hi there,
This problem appears to have been resolved with that 3.5.3105.20150 build.

Cheers..