TEE7NEW TEEEXPORT linker error in C++ example project

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
944turbo

TEE7NEW TEEEXPORT linker error in C++ example project

Post by 944turbo » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:19 am

How exactly does one link the C++ Tee7New Example project? I'm using BDS 2006 update 2 with 7.12 of Teechart VCL.

I can't seem to be able get rid of the missing TEEEXPFORM.OBJ linker error. I see where my .PAS source files (I'm a source code customer) has the TEEEXPFORM.PAS file, but I can't seem to make it work. There was a mention on how to fix it in an earlier VCL post, but I can't figure it out! This is the C++ project, not the delphi project.

BTW, I've been using Teechart since version 5, and since version 7 came out, I have yet to be able to build the C++ Teenew application from the C++ source! There is always some problem or missing file! Am I just clueless? Or is the supplied C++ source for the TEENEW application not meant to be used???

Thanks for any help you can provide since building the C++ based application helps greatly with showing interactive code examples.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:42 am

Hi 944turbo,

Yes, this is a known issue. You should search for TEEEXPForm.pas and add it to the demo project..
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

944turbo

How to add the teeexport.pas file to the C++ Project

Post by 944turbo » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:30 pm

Narcis,

Yes, I've seen this is the solution, but *how* do you add the teeexport.pas file to the C++ project sucessfully.

I've tried adding it as a file in the project pane, but that causes more problems. The project then complains about more files missing.

Is there some simple step I am missing?? Have you tried this solution with the C++ builder project? I have never tried to mix the delphi and C++ code before in a project, and that may be my problem?

I know this sounds dumb, but please elaborate on how to do it!

Thanks

944turbo

Adding TEEEXPORT.PAS to Featured C++ Project

Post by 944turbo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:51 am

Sir,

I sucessfully copied TEEEXPORT.PAS, the TEEXPORT.DFM file and the required teedefs.inc to the C++ Features sample project directory, added the TEEEXPORT.PAS file to the project, and forced a total rebuild. The file is successfully added to the project and compiles and gives me a TEEEXPORT.OBJ file.

BUT, the linker *still* fails with 'cannot find TEEEXPORT.OBJ'. I am now baffled as to why the linker is failing when the OBJ file now exists.

Please HELP. Are you sure somebody at STEEMA has actually *built* the C++ features project sucessfully? I haven't been able to for many releases!

Why include this project example and C++ files if it won't work?????

Please let me know what I am doing wrong.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:18 am

Hi 944turbo,

Ok, now you should go to Project->Options->Directories/Conditionals and check that the path of TEEEXPORT.OBJ is at the library path list.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

944turbo

Solution - Add TEEEXPFORM *and* TEEDesignOptions

Post by 944turbo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:34 pm

Sir,

My problem was I was adding TEEEXPORT, not TEEEXPFORM. After correcting that mistake, I still got a linker error.

If you add TEEEXPFORM only you will get a linker error that TEEDESIGNOPTIONS.OBJ is not found.

So, you must add TEEEXPFORM.pas and TEEDESIGNOPTIONS.pas and the related form files to get it to work. Again, it is obvious that no one at Steema has actually *tried* this solution as suggested. I don't normally mix in pascal source code, so the solution wasn't instantly obvious to me.

So it links successfully by adding these two files, not just TEEEXPFORM.

Again, I finally got it to link - but this is at 7.12 release of this C++ demo project. TeeChartPro 7.0 was released in 2005! I find it incredible that as delivered this example project will not compile and link with out error and without having to go through this *3 years* into the release of this version of TeeChart Pro.

The previous version of the demo (7.08) I got to link by disabling several units and commenting out multiple syntax errors. To my knowledge this C++ features demo project has been broken since C++ Builder 2006 was released. Please correct me if I am wrong, but no one has been able to successfully build the C++ features demo for that long.

So, IMHO, if you are going to continue to provide examples, please make sure they actually do compile and link. If they don't, why bother to provide the *project files* and source???

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:49 pm

Hi 944turbo,

Sorry for the inconveniences this may have caused. I'm glad to hear that you could solve it.

As I told you, this is a known bug with the C++ Builder 2007 demo, not other C++ Builder versions. TeeChart Pro v7.12 for Delphi 2007 was not released in 2005, it was released on June 2007 after Delphi 2007 was released.

The problem with BDS 2006 and RAD Studio 2007 is that they include both Delphi and C++ Builder personalities. To better support that we generate a single set of packages that supports both of them. Accidentaly those files were left out of the installer.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

944turbo

Developer Studio 2006 and C++ Features Example Project

Post by 944turbo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:11 pm

OK, simple question....

What was the last release of TeeChart Pro 7.X that would sucessfully compile and link the C++ features demo project as delivered by Steema using Developer Studio 2006?

I know versions 7.08 and 7.12 will not. The 7.12 version (as I now see) is fixable but prior versions had various source code problems.

This C++ version of the Features demo has been there since I've been purchasing the product(since 1998), and IMHO, should always successfully build just like the Delphi version example.

Don't you agree? Am I asking too much? Or are the C++ developers just not important?

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:38 am

Hi 944turbo,

The first version that supported BDS 2006 is v7.06. Your requests seem reasonable to me but there's not much we can do with already released versions, we can just improve that for new releases.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

944turbo

Post by 944turbo » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:42 pm

Narcis,

Oh, it's no big deal as long as there's a workaround that's not to hard to accomplish. I know that for the VCL product, the Delphi audience is your main customer here. No complaints on the quality of the toolset. I know keeping demos and other examples up to date takes time and resources and every business has to balance where their time is spent.

For example, Borland used to provide a nifty multithreading example that used three sorting algorithms to demostrate how to write a multithreaded program in Delphi and C++ builder. Well, when BDS 2006 was released, the Delphi version was still there, but no C++ Builder version. (The old C++ project and source from C++ builder 6 wouldn't work anymore without some significant port work, I guess). I now see that it's back with BDS 2007. But my point is even Borland favors the Delphi support greatly over the C++ builder side.

Anyhow, thanks for helping me get it working. It's nice to have this C++ version of the Features demo around so you can quickly get source code examples of how to do each feature. Maybe a better solution for the future is to have a common project and just have the source code tab allow you to view the Delphi and C++ concurrently or side-by-side? An idea anyway.

Keep up the good work. Thanks for all the support in the past.

v/r,

Dean