Problem in running code on Vista

TeeChart for ActiveX, COM and ASP
rob14

Problem in running code on Vista

Post by rob14 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:07 pm

Hi,

I have just upgraded from V4 of Teechart AciveX to V8. Unfortunately I am haing a problem getting my project to run on Vista machines. My program launches correctly but at the point it is due to create and display a chart I get a message saying that the program has stopped working. The problem details report an APPCRASH and indicate the faulty module is MFC42.dll - however I do not believe that this is the true cause as I use this module successfully with several other (non-Teechart) projects I am testing for comptability with the new Windows OS.

I am developing using MS Visual Studio V6 using VC++ and MFC. All my operations on the TeeChart object are performed programtically. I have run the supplied conversion utility to modify my TeeChart project from V4 to V8 (including the overwriting of Teechart class files with their later versions) and (after a couple of minor problems) the project now runs successfuly on my Windows XP development machine. However, when the same code is installed on a Vista machine I get the crash.

I believe that TeeChart8.ocx has been installed and registered correctly on the target Vista machine so I do not think this is causing the problem.

I am now running short of ideas (and time) and would like to know if anyone else has experienced similar problems when upgrading or if I have missed a vital step in converting my older project for TeeChart V8 compatibility on a Vista machine.

Many thanks for any assistance.

Rob

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:26 pm

Hi Rob,

Could you please send us a simple example project we can run "as-is" to reproduce the issue here?

You can either post your files at news://www.steema.net/steema.public.attachments newsgroup or at our upload page.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

rob14

Post by rob14 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:18 pm

Hi Narcis,

I have uploaded the Teechart project that I am having problems with to your upload page on 6th March.

Have you had a chance to have a look at it yet, and if so are you able to reproduce the problem I am encountering.

Best Regards

Rob

Pep
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pep » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:45 pm

H Rob,

It’s a strange problem, I’ve just test it here, in a Win Vista machine and it worked fine. I’ve been able to build, run, and execute it out of VC without getting any error. Here I've sent the exe (in a zipped file) directly to you mail. You can test it if using this one you still getting the error (to help to find where the problem is).

In case you still getting the error, please try to build your project on another machine.

rob14

Post by rob14 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:48 pm

Hi Josep,

Thanks for your efforts in looking into this for me.

I think I have some sort of answer to the problem. Basically, I restored my Vista test machine back to the point when I bought it and then tried my program on this clean machine - it worked !

I am guessing that some vital system file that TeeChart uses must have been corrupted or else the registry was not totally correct.

Anyway, at least I can now run my application and test it out for Vista compatability.

Once again, many thanks for your help

Best Regards

Rob

Pep
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pep » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:06 pm

Hi Rob,

ok, I'm glad to hear that works now. :wink: