TeeChart does not work in C++ Builder 4

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
Matt25

TeeChart does not work in C++ Builder 4

Post by Matt25 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:47 pm

I refer to my previous topic on canvas and brush problems, new install.

The problem is much more severe, in that almost all properties of a Tchart are not accessible or corrupted. For example, just opening a new project, placing a chart on the form and then trying to access an axis for example, gives a NULL pointer. i.e.
if (Chart1->BottomAxis==NULL) ShowMessage("IS NULL");
else ShowMessage("OK");
Same for the other axis and the chart canvas, the brush etc. The class does not appear properly defined to the VCL environment within my project.

I am running BCB 4 with both updates installed, I have ensured that all search directories are correct, I have even copied the files into the BCB directories, removed the packages and reinstalled the packages. In addition I have installed BCB4 with both updates on my "clean machine" (minimal software installed) which I keep for testing software, and then the update to TeeChart v8. Still no luck. Version 7 seems to have the same problem, and finally I have tried version 4 pro, and that works (axis is not null), but the countour series is not up to project requirements.

While I am sure that latest version of BCB will work, I really would rather not update at this point midway through a project as it will require hardware changes.

Is it possible to perform the same exercise on the Steema version of BCB 4 without source code ( i.e. check that the Chart->BotttomAxis is or is not NULL), so that I can eliminate library or directX or whatever differences there might be on our systems. At least if we get the same result it might be able to be fixed, and I can revert back to Teechart4 and get on with this project and wait for a fix. I have spent a good 3-4 days here trying to establish that the problem is not with my system, and have run out of options to try.

Maybe the soluion is to fork out the additional 80 odd euro and compile the obj files myself?

If anybody has successfully used TeeChart 8 with BCB 4 please let me know, at least I know there is some worth in hacking onwards.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:35 pm

Hi Matt25,

We have done several tests here and haven't been able to run latest v7 and v8 successfully in BCB 4. We will need to investigate the issue. In the meantime, we will send you a TeeChart Pro v6 VCL license so that you can start using TeeChart with BCB 4.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

Matt25

Post by Matt25 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:30 pm

May I suggest trying the tests by using the source code rather than the libraries and obj code. I suspect the libraries are perhaps out of sync.

Also, a suggestion to make life easier in BCB4 (and perhaps other versions). Since BCB4 keeps changing the search paths to relative (sometimes incorrectly) i.e. c:\Program files\Steema.... to ..\..\Steema etc., (which messes up new projects created at higher levels of directory), I did the following which works well:

Copy the files required (BIN,INCLUDE and LIB) files to a directory off the same borland directory. For example the include dir:
copy the steema include files to
c:\program files\borland\cbuilder4\include\Tee6
Then the search directory only has to be set to $(BCB)\Include\Tee6, and BCB never changes this. In fact it would be easier if the installer did this automatically.

I hope the issues with version 8 can be resolved quickly, as while Tee v 6 works, it is a bit lacking in the contour department (no fills for example and plan (2D) view really isn't right, have to use 3D view rotated to appear 2D.