Upgrade to ActiveX V8 or .NET V3

TeeChart for ActiveX, COM and ASP
vbphil

Upgrade to ActiveX V8 or .NET V3

Post by vbphil » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:37 pm

I'm confused about which direction to upgrade.
I've been using the ActiveX control in my web apps. Currently I have the V6 control in an ASP.NET V1 using Visual Studio 2003 for the VB development and all is fine.
I want to upgrade my web app to ASP.NET V2 and Visual Studio VB 2005 and at the same time upgrade the TeeChart control.

Should I stay with the ActiveX version or switch to .NET?

I realize there may be many considerations to make in order to answer this. Where does one look for information to make the comparison? I don't want to spend days and weeks evaluating code examples and testing. Surely there must be a few main considerations that should help guide me.

Thanks, -phil

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:53 pm

Hi phil,

For using in VS.NET we recommend you using TeeChart for .NET v3. This is a fully native C# version of TeeChart which can be used with all Visual Studio .NET languages. TeeChart for .NET v3 renders the charts serverside and sends and image to the client. It is less interactive than the ActiveX version in a browser as it can be used as a “live” object but if you are only intending to use it as an image it should be enough.

We are also improving the interactivity of TeeChart for .NET in web pages as you can see in the live ASP.NET demo.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

vbphil

Post by vbphil » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:47 pm

Hi Narcís,

In summary, I have only 1 page on the site that uses a Teechart jpg image created and stored on the server. For the other pages, well over 30 in all, I'm using a vertical or horizontal Bar chart that is displayed in the client IE browser with the chart.Import.LoadFromURL() function in the Window on_load() event. Also, each chart object on the page is using the onclickseries event which is providing drill down capability on the charts to display another page with an HTML table containing detail data.

<script language=JavaScript event=OnClickSeries(series,index,button,shift,x,y) for=chart>

It wasn't clear to me that the .NET TeeChart was capabile of doing this without a complete re-write of my application. I'm assuming that the ActiveX V8 TeeChart would be the simplest upgrade from V6 with minimal code re-write.

Is the ActiveX V8 TeeChart still a COM object on the server or is it available as native .NET for the server side but still an ActiveX control in the client's browser?

-phil

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:56 pm

Hi phil,
It wasn't clear to me that the .NET TeeChart was capabile of doing this without a complete re-write of my application. I'm assuming that the ActiveX V8 TeeChart would be the simplest upgrade from V6 with minimal code re-write.
Using v8 ActiveX may be easier for reusing existing code. However notice that you can also achieve what you request with the .NET version as you can see in the ASP.NET demo I pointed in my previous reply.
Is the ActiveX V8 TeeChart still a COM object on the server or is it available as native .NET for the server side but still an ActiveX control in the client's browser?

The ActiveX version is still a COM control.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum