QuickReport407PD2007 and TeeChart7.11Delphi2007 integration

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
Gertrude

Post by Gertrude » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:32 pm

Following my post above (please read - thanks), I've done a bit more investigating.

First though, when you say to add a path to the search path ot the output path etc, do you mean to the release configuration or to the debug configuration or both? I have done both for safety.

i also think this should be specified in your generic document.

Back to the build error. I wondered if this was to do with having permission to write to a directory. I am the administrator of the PC and running as such, so there should not be any problem.

My 'program files' directory was marked as 'read only'. So was the 'compiled' directory you asked me to create. Therefore I changed all references to the 'compiled' directory to 'c:\downloads' instead. Now, 3 files were produced, namely teeqr711.bpl, teeqr711.dcu and qrtee.dcu were produced in c:\downloads (whereas previously nothing appeared in the 'compiled' directory when that was the directory referenced) but I still get an error, but this time saying 'cant write teeqr711.dcp' to c:\downloads.

I hope the above might give you a clue as to what is happening.

I do not understand why I can't write to the 'compiled' directory at all, any why I can write 3 of the files to c:\downloads but not teeqr711.dcp.

Colin

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:57 am

Hi Colin,

For your last post I deduce that your problem with the QRTee.dcu file is solved. Anyway I invite you to ensure that your search paths are correctly added, and also is important (and it's not in the list) to have your search path clean. That means that the paths you used for previous installations should be removed if they doesn't exist and ensure that the paths you entered correctly are in the top of the lists. This is because when delphi needs a file, he searches in the search paths and "the first file he finds is the first he uses".

And this is also applicable to your writing problem. This is a strange problem and I can only suggest you to ensure that the path you specified at outputs paths is really present.

If you continue having problems, tell us, and we'll prepare the compiled files for your teechart version.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software
Av. Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia (SP)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Please read our Bug Fixing Policy

Gertrude

Post by Gertrude » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:09 pm

Obviously, I have of course checked my search paths multiple times, before writing to you about the problem. I even pasted them in from windows explorer.

The question is a) why did it work for some paths and not for others
and b) why did 3 of the 4 files get written to the path I specified but not the fourth (that shows there is nothing wrong with the path or else the first 3 would not have got written there). Is it significant or not that the 'program files' path has its attributes set to read only?

Also, thanks but I do not want you to make the packages for me, I want to be able to do this myself, so that I can then do the same thing if I use other versions of TeeChart or of QuickReport. Also, this has been going on for so long now, that I am determined to finish it. Also only when I have completed all the steps can I give feedback on the problems I have encountered following your instructions. That way you can mention them and the workarounds when you write the generic document.

You also have not answered all of my questions. e.g. do I add the paths to both the release and debug configurations or just one of them. If the latter which one?

So, please would you let me know what you think the problem might be and how I might get around it. Somebody should know surely.

Thanking you in anticipation

Colin

Gertrude

Post by Gertrude » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:20 am

I see I am back to talking to myself again as it is now Monday and my thursday posts have not been answered.

I am not convinced that the instructions you sent me were prepared using Delphi 2007 for Win32. You have altready said that you are using TeeChart712 instaed of 711 as I have said I using right from the start.
Also see below.

Also in a previous post I mentioned that I found one of the files to be in a different directory from where you said it was., so you cannot have been using the same programs and versions as me.

Anyway, I have now not followed your instructions about dcp paths, output paths or making compiled subdirectories, but used the default subdirectories instead, i.e. my documents\rad studio\5.0\bpl etc. Now everything builds OK. So I guess something in Delphi2007 was preventing writing these files to the specified directories.
I did however add to the search paths as you suggested (except for the compiled subdirectory as I am no longer using it)

However, at step 19, the file you mentioned was in the LIB directory not the bin directory.

Everything seemed to go well and I got right to the end OK.

So I hope you will change the instructions for the generic document accordingly.

However, when I then restarted Delphi2007 for Win32 and tried to open a project, I was unable to do so, because I got the error message

'Unable to find DclTeePro711.bpl'

So what else have you told me incorrectly? What do I need to do now?

I am really fed up with this. Why are you incapable of giving me the correct instructions. It is a good job, I have never contacted tech support before, or else I never would have kept on buying TeeChart for all these years.

Colin

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:09 am

Hi Colin,

First of all accept my apologies for the delay, we try to answer to all the customers question asap, but as you might know there's a Priority Support subscription which "Priority mails are answered by a receipt confirmation and replied to within 48 hours during working hours".

I also would like to thank you for reporting me about my mistake at step 19 (it's now solved).

Regarding to your path troubles, let me explain that I decided to do the example with the latest v7 because it's the version we recommend to download for v7 customers. So this way I thought I was helping all v7 customers with one hit without more complicated-general instructions. Excuse me again if it wasn't understandable that you have to change the paths to yours but I thought I should write instructions for default paths. And as you'll understand, I have no control of which paths a customer has set as read-only.

Regarding to your 'Unable to find DclTeePro711.bpl' error, try to reinstall the package manually by going to Component->Install Packages... then click Add... and search the DclTeePro711.bpl file which should be at "your teechart installation path"\Delphi11\Bin. And don't forget to mark the checkbox "Default" at the bottom-left of the window to let Delphi remember the configuration. If it doesn't solve the problem, try to copy the file to your windows\systerm32 folder and Delphi will find it by default.

And yes, I'm using Delphi 2007 for Win32.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software

Gertrude

Post by Gertrude » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:22 pm

I have not marked any paths as read only. (Why on earth would I do that?) Anyway, given that 3 of the 4 files were written to one of the paths it could not have been marked as read-only. My suspicion, is a bug in Delphi2007. I was hoping you would know what was happening.

I am the one who is now using the default paths, not you. You told me to make a compiled directory and put things there. When I tried to do what you said, it did not work. You gave me no help on solving this so I had to think about how to resolve the problem myself and so I resorted to the Delphi 2007 default paths instead, and lo and behold everything worked, except that the dclteePro711.bpl file is now expected to be somewhere else for some reason. That should not have happened. What you have given me is a workaround, but obviously there is something wrong with the procedure. What is needed, is an understanding of why this happened, so that the instructions can be corrected.

This means, that we still do not have a set of instructions that work for my combination of programs and components, so I do not know how you are going to write a generic set of instructions. I have tried to be as helpful as possible, pointing out where the instructions were not clear and where components are not where they should be etc etc.

I always install all programs to the default directories and accept all the default options, just because I figure that if I do, then the installation has a higher probability of working, because I assume that is what the developers have used and tested.

Given that, I cannot see how you have not been having the same problems as me.

I told you right at the begining that I was using 7.11. I used 7.11 because I wanted a Delphi2007 version and waited for ages before downloading, because 7.11 was marked as beta on the web site. As soon as the beta marking was lifted I downloaded 7.11. I assumed that after all that time that the bugs had been found and corrected. I did not know there was a 7.12 until it was mentioned in these discussions and as I said before, I only have a slow download link. The prospect of downloading that and then having to repeat this whole thing to integrate 7.12 with QuickReport is just to horrible to think about.

This experience has been so stressful and drawn out that I have lost all confidence in TeeChart and am thoroughly fed up with this. It has taken a month and we are still not there. It is just not good enough.

Colin

Pep
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pep » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:45 am

Hi Colin,
I am the one who is now using the default paths, not you. You told me to make a compiled directory and put things there. When I tried to do what you said, it did not work. You gave me no help on solving this so I had to think about how to resolve the problem myself and so I resorted to the Delphi 2007 default paths instead, and lo and behold everything worked, except that the dclteePro711.bpl file is now expected to be somewhere else for some reason. That should not have happened. What you have given me is a workaround, but obviously there is something wrong with the procedure. What is needed, is an understanding of why this happened, so that the instructions can be corrected.
Well, about the "default paths" it's not a problem, it's just a way to be sure all the compiled files will be at the same place (which helps when we need to compile the dclpackage that requires to find compiled files of the runtime package), and then if it's required move them to some other paths, but if you know where will be created all the compiled files this should not be a problem, just will need to add any of these paths to the search path to be able to compile the dclpackage (design time package).
We also suggest to use the same folder to put all the compiled files to be sure no one of old tchart and qrfiles are used.
About the "dclteePro711.bpl file" problem, it seems it's a Delphi2007 issue as it should not show any error giving the correct path of the file. We just told you a way around (just move it to other path : codegear path, system32,...) which will solves it.
This means, that we still do not have a set of instructions that work for my combination of programs and components, so I do not know how you are going to write a generic set of instructions. I have tried to be as helpful as possible, pointing out where the instructions were not clear and where components are not where they should be etc etc.
We have tried to write all the instructions as generic as possible. We did some tests here following them and all goes well, no errors, all installed correctly and work fine.
I always install all programs to the default directories and accept all the default options, just because I figure that if I do, then the installation has a higher probability of working, because I assume that is what the developers have used and tested.
Yes, we're not telling you to modify the default path of installation, only the output paths where the compiled files will be placed, normally if you don't change them they will be placed in a \projects\bpl. or similar directory of Borland Code Gear, but as I said before it's just to be sure that more recent compiled files are used, and also to not lose time looking for them.
Given that, I cannot see how you have not been having the same problems as me.
We just follow the steps we posted here.
I told you right at the begining that I was using 7.11. I used 7.11 because
I wanted a Delphi2007 version and waited for ages before downloading, because 7.11 was marked as beta on the web site. As soon as the beta marking was lifted I downloaded 7.11. I assumed that after all that time that the bugs had been found and corrected. I did not know there was a 7.12 until it was mentioned in these discussions and as I said before, I only have a slow download link. The prospect of downloading that and then having to repeat this whole thing to integrate 7.12 with QuickReport is just to horrible to think about.
Well, we suggest to use the 7.12 bcos it includes some fixes, specially related with installation on d2007 and C++2007. I'd recommend that if you have the possibility to download it do it. Maybe will save you a lot of time.
This experience has been so stressful and drawn out that I have lost all confidence in TeeChart and am thoroughly fed up with this. It has taken a month and we are still not there. It is just not good enough.
We're putting all the efforts trying to help you. We have told you all the steps, suggestions, etc.. you should take, also giving the option to send to you the compiled fiiles (tested here).
There're a lot of customers which are using TeeChart Pro in conjunction with QuickReport which do not have problems.

Please let us know what you have decided to do (unisntall tc7.11 and install tc7.12, following the steps (remember you have to uninstall qr and tc, and then install both again in correct order)), or if you still trying to compile it with the tc7.11 and you're givving some errors, etc.. post them here and we'll try to help you.

Gertrude

Post by Gertrude » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:28 pm

I am just going to go through this one last time.

I have installed all programs on my pc in their default installations and accepted all the default options during installation, so there should be nothing special about the configuration of my pc (Windows XP SP2).

I tried to follow your instructions, but have mentioned the problems I had when trying to do so e.g. unclear instructions and files in different locations (why does this occur if we are using the same programs and the same defaults?).

Also, in the case of Quickreport , some needed files were not being installed at all and the Quickreport producers acknowledged this to be a bug and have issued a bug fix( - so how did you manage to get these files produced?).

At the end, when I tried to build, something was preventing the output files being put in the specified directories. The directories definitely existed and I could manually put files into them. I have done some further investigation and discovered that it is common in Windows XP, for directories to have a read-only attribute (a red square in the properties sheet), but apparently this does not mean that the directory is read only. I have checked with friends and their directories are similarly marked, so this is nothing to do with the problem, I had when building. My suspicion, is that it is something to do with Delphi2007, because when I cleared the output paths etc and so the default paths were used instead, then everything was built as it should be.

By the way, despite asking 2 or 3 times, you have still not told me whether I should have set the paths in just the release configuration, just the debug configuration or in both configurations.

The only remaining problem, was that when I then started up a project the
dclteepro711.bpl component could not be found. I know you gave me a workaround and I can think of other workarounds myself.

My point is, that obviously there is still something wrong in the procedure. You cannot add as the last line of your instructions, 'oh, by the way this might not work, so if Delphi complains about not being able to find dclteepro711.bpl then apply the following workaround.....'

I find it hard to see how everything could have worked smoothly for you, but I had such great problems as there was nothing special about my setup. If I had difficulties, then presumably others will as well.

Finally, as I said, I appreciate the offers of just sending me the files, but if I download TeeChart7.12 then I need to be able to repeat the process myself. Similarly, if I upgrade to TeeChart 8 or a new version of QuickReport comes along. You would not be happy, if everytime a new version of one of these came along, I asked you to send me a ready prepared set of components to integrate the 2 sets of components.

I really would appreciate answers to the above questions and a set of instructions which work.

Colin

Gertrude

Post by Gertrude » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:43 pm

I'd still appreciate the answers I asked for in my post above.

However this is intended to be my last post on this topic.

I thought that after more than 10 years, the art of combining TeeChart and QuickReport would be honed to a tee (no pun intended).

So, I started out on this journey, a month ogo, full of enthusiasm, expecting it to be a quick, pain free procedure.

One month on, and I am thoroughly disillusioned with both products. I still do not have a set of instructions which will guarantee that I can combine the 2 sets of components now or in the future.

What a shame.

Colin

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:51 am

Hi Colin,

We've made some more tests and followed the instructions to install TQR for TeeChart 7.11 and also again for TeeChart 7.12 and we found the problem.

We haven't found any problem with the guide, we could follow all the steps with no problems (we only had to change "TeeChart 7.12 for Delphi 2007" for "TeeChart 7.11 for Delphi 2007" to setup correctly for the v7.11).

So we achieved to install correctly both versions but we found the problem you talked about when you try to reopen Delphi 2007. If you verify the package at "Components->Install packages..." it seems to be correctly installed and if you create a new project, the TQR component appears correctly at QuickReport palette list.

But if you try to use it there appear two error messages:
"This application has failed to start because TeeQR711.bpl was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

And:
"Can't load package C:\Program Files\Steema Software\TeeChart 7.12 for Delphi 2007\Delphi11\Bin\DclTQR711.bpl. The specified module could not be found."

And the component disappears from the QuickReport palette. But note that you can go again to "Components->Install Packages..." and remove the "TeeChart 7 for QuickReport" component and readd it as said at step 25. And then it works well for us, even loading a previously saved project which uses the TQR component.

So, as a workarround while we investigate and find the real solution, you could remove and readd the TQR component each time you open Delphi 2007 and it should work fine.

So please, could you try what I suggest and, if you find any other problem on it please don't doubt and tell us and we'll do all we can to reproduce and solve it. But, again, take in consideration that, as you can understand, we cannot test all the possible customers combinations and this "two-way" troubleshooting is really necessary to enhance the program.

Finally, be sure that we'll inform you when we'll solve the problem.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software

KymaNorway

same problem

Post by KymaNorway » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:09 pm

I am also having problems with integrating QuickReport and Teechart, I've sent an e-mail and I got a reply with 2 different ways to do the installation, however, I did not manage to get any of them to work. Just wondering, which is your most recent installation routine? I am using Delphi2006 with Teechart 7.12.

Have you fixed the problems which have been discussed here?

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:18 pm

Hi KymaNorway,

I'd recommend you to follow Yeray's suggestions on this thread. As far as I know, Gertrude has TeeChart with Quick Report successfully working. If you run into any problem please let us know in which step did it occur and the error message/s you may get.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

Gertrude

Post by Gertrude » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:05 pm

I do not have them successfully working together.

Rather, I have given up in disgust, because afterr one month of trying, you still refuse to answer my questions (I have explicitly asked them several times).

Also you seem not to believe me, when I say something does not work.

Perhaps now that someone else has reported problems, you might revisit all my posts and take them seriously and answer my questions and believe me when I say something does not work.

Also are you still trying to fix the last problem, I reported or have you given up on that as well?

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:19 am

Hi Gertrude,

We don't refuse to answer your questions, however, we are pretty confident that the last problem you have is a search path problem as Yeray and Pep pointed to you in other replies. So we'd appreciate you to pay attention to this point and let us know if there's any specific problem, error message and when this exactly occurs.
Also are you still trying to fix the last problem, I reported or have you given up on that as well?
We haven't found a solution to this for now but this problem only occurs in your environment combination. We haven't been able to reproduce this on other Delphi, TeeChart and Quick Report combinations.

For now, the only solution is using the workaround suggested by my colleagues.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

KymaNorway

Post by KymaNorway » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:42 am

I have followed the installations steps as they are written, however, I got stuck on step 9. I didn't want to use my try and fail routine, as it didn't work the last time I try. Note, I am using Delphi2006 with Teechart7.12 and QuickReport 4.07

Therefore I kindly ask for your advice. This is what I did.
- Followed steps 1-8.
- Opened Delphi2006
- Created a New "VCL Forms Application - Delphi For Win32".
- Added a "TChart" Component.
- Pressed "F9" to rnu the application.

...and then I got the following error messages:
* Project Project1.exe raised exception class EReadError with message 'Property Gradient does not exist'.
* Project Project1.exe raised exception class EReadError with message 'Error reading Chart1.BackWall.Gradient.EndColor: Property Gradient does not exist'.
* Error reading Chart1.BackWall.Gradient.EndColor: Property Gradient does not exist.

Then the application shut down.

As a test I also added a "TChatrEditor" Component. Which gave me the following compilation error:
[Pascal Fatal Error] Unit1.pas(7): F1026 File not found: 'TeeEdit.dcu'

Please assist me on this problem, and also update your installation instructions if needed.

I planned to try Teechart8 as it is now available as a release version. However, I noticed that it is missing from my customer download page. Do I have to pay for upgrading from ver7 to ver8? Do you know how much it costs? Is it compatible with Delphi2006 and Quickreport? I read at these forums that a person said it is only available for Delphi2007...