Localization w/o source code

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
xxxxxx
Advanced

Localization w/o source code

Post by xxxxxx » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:49 am

I have Delphi 5 Standard and TeeChart Standard v7, so Pro multi-language feature is not available.
Nevertheless, .dfm are still available in folder DELPHI5\LIB of my TeeChart Standard v7.
I think they are legal, aren't they?
It's clear I'm unable to change anything in TeeConst.dcu.
But, from technical point of view it's a snap to replace a form caption in, say, TeePrevi.dfm from English to any language.
So, my question is about legality of .dfm strings resources modification within Delphi for providing a limited translation.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:01 pm

Hello,

We are not familiar in using such techniques and don't even know if it's possible. To my understanding, changing a .dfm file without compiling it together with corresponding .pas file and project/package files may not be of much use and may even cause file incompatibility problems within installed components. .dcu files can not be modified as they already are files generated from compilation.

However, if you know of a way of doing that we don't have any inconvenient in you to do so.

Also please notice that to customize TeeChart sources, a full source code Pro version is available. Anyway, you won't need the source code version because the Pro version without source code already includes multi-language feature which localizes all TeeChart dialogs to several languages.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

xxxxxx
Advanced

Post by xxxxxx » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:53 pm

However, if you know of a way of doing that we don't have any inconvenient in you to do so.
It's really easy and neither require any recompilation nor has any harmful effect (when applied in a right way). Just an example:
1. I load TeePrevi.DFM to Delphi IDE where I see

Code: Select all

Caption = 'TeeChart Print Preview'
2. I change it to another

Caption = 'TeeChart Print Preview in Russian way ;)'
3. Add to uses clause in my form

uses TeePrevi;
and an operator

TeePreview( Self, Chart1 );
4. Compile and link my program.
That's all!!!
Behind the scene is the directive

{$R *.DFM}
that allow the linker to add form resources to the executable. Of course, one must be aware of modifying only strings and nothing more. Using Translation Tools is much more safer in this respect but has the same mechanizm.
And this approach works only when TeeChart run-time bpl packages are not used.
But it's not the case to me. The only thing I was aware was its legality.[/code][/quote]