BoxPlot problem

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
matjazu

BoxPlot problem

Post by matjazu » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:43 am

I have a problem when using boxplot with custom values.
(i'm using TeeChart version 7.06 with Delphi 7)

1. After I define custom values the boxplot is not visible on chart. I have to add at least two values as series (e.g. outliers), only then the boxplot is visible.
I have found that in .NET version 7.09 following bug is fixed:
" 13) Using custom values for boxplot did not automatically adjust axis scale. Fixed. "
Was that the same problem that I have?

2. Second problem is more problematic. I save boxplot (custom values) to .tee template, and then after I reopen this template, the box and whiskers are not visible, only outliers are.

Any solutions ?

Thanks.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:31 pm

Hi matjazu,

Code: Select all

1. After I define custom values the boxplot is not visible on chart. I have to add at least two values as series (e.g. outliers), only then the boxplot is visible.
Please notice that you should add custom values to box plot series like shown in the All Features\Welcome!\Chart Styles\Statistical\Box-Plot\Custom values example in the features demo. You'll find the features demo at TeeChart's program group.
I have found that in .NET version 7.09 following bug is fixed:
" 13) Using custom values for boxplot did not automatically adjust axis scale. Fixed. "
Was that the same problem that I have?
Please notice that current TeeChart for .NET is version 2. TeeChart v7.09 Standard VCL is a special free edition for CodeGear BDS 2006 registered owners. The issue you mention was fixed in an August 2006 debug build of TeeChart for .NET v2 so it's most unlikely this will be your problem.

Please check if you are populating box-plot series as in the mentioned example and if the problem persists please send us a simple example project we can run "as-is" to reproduce the problem here.

You can either post your files at news://www.steema.net/steema.public.attachments newsgroup or at our upload page.

Thanks in advance.

Code: Select all

2. Second problem is more problematic. I save boxplot (custom values) to .tee template, and then after I reopen this template, the box and whiskers are not visible, only outliers are. 
I could reproduce the issue here. I've added it (TV52012095) to our defect list to be fixed for future releases.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

matjazu

BoxPlot problem

Post by matjazu » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:25 pm

Hi.
Please check if you are populating box-plot series as in the mentioned example and if the problem persists please send us a simple example project we can run "as-is" to reproduce the problem here.
I have uploaded simple example (boxplot.zip), that demonstrates my question. If I define boxplot series only with parameters:
Median, Quartile1, Quartile3, InnerFence1, InnerFence3, OuterFence1, OuterFence3, AdjacentPoint1 and AdjacentPoint3
then box plot is not visible, I also have to add elements with AddSeries function (e.g. min and max value), but I don't think that should be necessary. Perhaps I should define axis range or something similar. But even if I add first boxplot with AddSeries so the first boxplot is visible and the range is for example from 0..100, when I add second box without series, this one is not visible (the axis range is shown OK, because of the first box).

Thanks for help.
[/quote]

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:12 pm

Hi matjazu,

Thanks for the project. We could reproduce the issues here and we are currently working on them. We will get back to you when we have further news.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:55 pm

Hi matjazu,

Please find below the answers to your questions:

1. The same thing happens with any series type. If you don't have any points in series, series will not be drawn. So you can avoid this adding one point to the series. Our suggestion is to add a point with value equal to median value. This will trigger the drawing code, but it won't paint the point itself because it's inside the box-plot box.

2. The problem is all these properties are public and not published so they are not saved to stream. You could move those properties in the published section in TeeBoxPlot.pas. We will do the same in v8, which is the version we are currently working in, and add stored CustomValuesUsed directive to each line meaning custom values will be stored only if UseCustomValues is true.

Since you are a TeeChart source code client you can easily re-compile and install TeeChart's sources to your IDE using Recompile tool provided with the source code installer.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

matjazu

Post by matjazu » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:36 pm

Thank you for help. I have solved first problem similarly, I just wanted to be sure I' not doing something wrong.