BDS2006 packages for 7.06

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
CArends

BDS2006 packages for 7.06

Post by CArends » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:36 am

I just downloaded and installed the 7.06 Professional installation for BDS2006. Side note: I am currently migrating some of my applications from C++Builder 6 to BDS2006 and finally got around to upgrading TeeChart. For reference the version I have installed in BCB6 is 7.04.

In the 7.04 installation there were multiple DCL packages that I could install or remove from the component palette. With 7.06 there appears to only be two DCL packages. This is important to me because I cannot remove the TeeChart image package which contains Anders Melanders' GIFImage component without removing all TeeChart components.

I have installed Ander's GIFImage in its own package and I have other packages (some private and some packages that I ship to others) that require GIFImage so I cannot simply rename my GIFImage to put a band aid on this issue.

I do not own a license for the TeeChart source so I cannot create my own installation packages to get around this issue.

Is there anything I can do?

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:42 pm

Hi CArends,

Why can't you use TeeChart's GIFImage? Is there any feature Ander's GIFImage unit has and TeeChart not? This is designed that way because many customers asked us to be all together in one unit.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

CArends

Post by CArends » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:29 pm

If the TeeImage package had been designed so that it didn't rely on other TeeChart packages then it wouldn't be as big of a problem. However, it requires Tee7 and TeeUI7. This means that any product I create that requires GIF and doesn't also make use of TeeChart will have to use these three TeeChart packages. This affects applications that use packages and also applications that implement a standalone executable due to the code bloat.

If Steema had designed a base package (with no knowledge of TeeChart) for just the image file formats, and also made it an optional design-time package, then all would have been fine. The package could have been named TeeGif. Or it could have been named TeeBaseImage if PCX, PNG, and other TGraphic descendants were desired.

My hope is for Borland to standardize the use of Anders' GIFImage and make a vclgif package.