License issue with Managed C++

TeeChart for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, Xamarin Studio (Android, iOS & Forms) & Monodevelop.
Glenn F. Henriksen

License issue with Managed C++

Post by Glenn F. Henriksen » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:29 am

Hello,

I am using TeeChart.NET Version 1 Build 1.1.2004.16592 and TeeChart.NET Version 1 Update Build 1.1.2531.28391. The product is built on Managed C++ platform, .Net Framework 1 with Visual Studio 2003.
I embed the TChart update Build 1.1.2004.16592 control on a System::Windows::Forms. This adds a License.Licx file to the project. Now I reference to the update build 1.1.2531.28391.
I make an installer of this and try to run it on a machine that does not have TChart installed on it. While loading the form that contains the TChart instance the following error occurs :-

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Steema.TeeChart.FrAccessProvider.GetLicense(LicenseContext context, Type type, Object instance, Boolean allowExceptions)
at System.ComponentModel.LicenseManager.ValidateInternalRecursive(LicenseContext context, Type type, Object instance, Boolean allowExceptions, License& license, String& licenseKey)
at System.ComponentModel.LicenseManager.ValidateInternal(Type type, Object instance, Boolean allowExceptions, License& license)
at System.ComponentModel.LicenseManager.Validate(Type type, Object instance)
at Steema.TeeChart.Chart..ctor()
at Steema.TeeChart.TChart..ctor()
at AnalysisTool.CurveDrawer.InitializeComponent()

When the same thing is installed on a machine that already has TChart Build and TChart update build installed on it, everything works fine. The form gets loaded with the TChart instance.

Kindly find the attached project to check the issue.

There is also a project made in C# in the same way as made for Managed C++. While the C# project works fine, Managed C++ project does not.

Could you please help me to solve this issue.

Thanks
Attachments
TChart Issue Projects.rar
(37.35 KiB) Downloaded 544 times

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: License issue with Managed C++

Post by Marc » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:00 am

Hello,

Before we check the project, could you check/confirm whether the steps described in tutorial 17 might be applicable/implemented for your project. To recap:
Using TeeChart in Visual C++.NET
The implementation of licensing in VC++ is not quite as transparent as it might hope to be for other .NET programming languages. You can successfully implement licensing for VC++ projects by following the steps described by by Tim Adler on the microsoft.public.dotnet.framework newsgroup.
Quote:
"My workaround is simple: Create a new solution, and within that a new C# project, with the SAME application name as your C++ application. Create a dummy form and drop each of the components needing licensing onto this form. Or alternatively, edit the licenses.licx file that is automatically generated to refer to each of the components. Then build the application. Then navigate to the debug directory and copy the "*.licenses" file into the base directory of your C++ application. Then under the Project Options->Linker->Input->Embed Managed Resource File setting of your C++ app, refer to this license file. Then do a 'rebuild'."
Regards,
Marc Meumann
Steema Support