Area Series whacky display

TeeChart for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, Xamarin Studio (Android, iOS & Forms) & Monodevelop.
Randy

Area Series whacky display

Post by Randy » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:20 pm

I'm attempting to create a stacked Area Series chart but the Areas do not spoon the other Areas. How do I get this to work?

The following image displays the problem accurately.

Here's the code that populated the chart at run-time.

Code: Select all

private void PopulateAreaChart(SpatialData sd)
{
	tchtArea.Series.RemoveAllSeries();
	tchtArea.Series.Clear();
	Steema.TeeChart.Styles.Area areaSeries;
	tchtArea.Axes.Left.Title.Text = cmbTrait.Text;

foreach(MapUnitGeometry mug in _mugs)
	{
		Trait t = mug.GetTrait(sd.OBJECTID);

areaSeries = new Steema.TeeChart.Styles.Area();

for(int i=0;i<t.PixelAttributes.values.Length;i++)
		{
			areaSeries.Add(t.PixelAttributes.values[i],
				GetTrendValue(t.PixelAttributes.frequencies,i,_trendWidth));
		}

//              areaSeries.Origin = 0;
		areaSeries.OutLine.Visible = true;
		areaSeries.OutLine.Width = 1;
		areaSeries.Title = mug.OBJECTID.ToString();
		areaSeries.AreaLines.Visible = false;

tchtArea.Series.Add(areaSeries);

}
	((Steema.TeeChart.Styles.Area)tchtArea.Series[0]).MultiArea = Steema.TeeChart.Styles.MultiAreas.Stacked;
	((Steema.TeeChart.Styles.Area)tchtArea.Series[0]).Origin = 0;
	((Steema.TeeChart.Styles.Area)tchtArea.Series[0]).UseOrigin = true;

}
Randy

Miguel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Miguel » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:12 am

Hi Randy,

Have you tried fixing the origin for each areaSeries? I mean in this way:

{ 
   tchtArea.Series.Clear(); 

{ 

{ 
      } 

areaSeries.MultiArea = Steema.TeeChart.Styles.MultiAreas.Stacked; 
      areaSeries.Origin = 0; 
      areaSeries.UseOrigin = true; 

} 
}
If still does not work, could you provide us the set of values for each series so that we could reproduce the issue?

You could attach the file (excel sheet or txt file) to:
[url]news://www.steema.net/steema.public.attachments[/url]
Best regards
Miguel Espinosa

Steema Software
http://support.steema.com

Randy

Post by Randy » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:00 pm

Your suggestion made a difference, but it's not exactly what I'm expecting.

The chart on the top represents a simple chart of the data for #7. The green trend line for the chart on the top is the same data for the #7 Area series. You can see it's a simple bell curve with mean close to zero and max around 200. I don't understand how the data is represented in the area chart for #7.

The other trend lines have the same bell curve with the mean close to zero and max of 600 and 120 for #5 and #6 repsectively. I would expect the Area stack to accumulate to a max of roughly (600 + 200 + 120) 920 - bell curves stacked on top of one another. That's what I'm trying to accomplish.

I hope this gives you some more insight, so you can help me figure this out..

The data for the Area chart is at - ftp://ftp.i3.com/pub/Steema/Chart2.xls

{                                                                                           
	tchtArea.Series.Clear();                                                                   

{                                                                                          

{                                                                                         

}                                                                                         

areaSeries.MultiArea = Steema.TeeChart.Styles.MultiAreas.Stacked;                         
		areaSeries.Origin = 0;                                                                    
		areaSeries.UseOrigin = true;                                                              

}                                                                                          

}                                                                                           

Christopher
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Christopher » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:47 am

Hi Randy,

I think I can see what's happening here. If you plot three area series, all of which have *common* XValues, then they stack without a problem, e.g.

private void InitializeChart() 
		{
			for(double i = 0; i < 200; ++i) 
			{
				if(i < 100) 
				{
					area1.Add(i, i);
					area2.Add(i, i);
					area3.Add(i, i);
				}
				else 
				{
					area1.Add(i, 200 - i);
					area2.Add(i, 200 - i);
					area3.Add(i, 200 - i);
				}
			}

area1.MultiArea = Steema.TeeChart.Styles.MultiAreas.Stacked;
			area2.MultiArea = Steema.TeeChart.Styles.MultiAreas.Stacked;
			area3.MultiArea = Steema.TeeChart.Styles.MultiAreas.Stacked;
		}
What's happening in your case is that the three area series have different XValues, for example, the XValue -135 is present in the second series but not in the first or the third.

What I suggest is that you "normalise" you data making sure that all the XValues are shared by all the series; you can set Color.Transparent to points you don't wish to be visible.
Thank you!

Christopher Ireland (Steema crew)
Please be aware of the newsgroup archives:
http://www.teechart.net/support/search.php
http://groups.google.com
http://codenewsfast.com/

Randy

Post by Randy » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:51 am

Thanks for the response Christopher,

I never would of thought I would have to do this but it works.

/// <summary>                                                                                           
/// Populate the Area Chart.  The Area chart requires the same number of XValues for each               
/// Area series.  Throwing all the XValues into the same bucket, sorting, and finding the unique        
/// was required, so that the XValue could be added to all Area Series.  Then find the matching         
/// Y value in the PixelAttributes or 0 was used for the Y values.                                      
/// </summary>                                                                                          
/// <param name="sd"></param>                                                                           
{                                                                                                       
	// ************************************************                                                    
	// Clear out and initialize some stuff.                                                                
	tchtArea.Series.Clear();                                                                               
	Trait t = null;                                                                                        

ArrayList alXValues = new ArrayList();                                                                 

// Loop thru each one of the Map Unit Geometries                                                       
	// Throw the XValues into the same ArrayList and                                                       
	// create an Area Series (add it to the chart).                                                        
	for(int mug=0;mug<_mugs.Length;mug++)                                                                  
	{                                                                                                      
		t = _mugs[mug].GetTrait(sd.OBJECTID);                                                                 
		alXValues.AddRange(t.PixelAttributes.values);                                                         

areaSeries.Title = _mugs[mug].OBJECTID.ToString();                                                    
		areaSeries.MultiArea = 
                   Steema.TeeChart.Styles.MultiAreas.Stacked;                                     

}                                                                                                      

// Sort and find all the unique X values.                                                              
	int[] sorted = AppUtility.Sort((int[])alXValues.ToArray(typeof(int)));                                 
	alXValues = new ArrayList();                                                                           

for(int i=0;i<sorted.Length-1;i++)                                                                     
	{                                                                                                      
		if (sorted[i]!=sorted[i+1])                                                                           
			alXValues.Add(sorted[i]);                                                                            
	}                                                                                                      
	if (sorted[sorted.Length-1]!=sorted[sorted.Length-2])                                                  
		alXValues.Add(sorted[sorted.Length-1]);                                                               

int[] aryXValues =  (int[])alXValues.ToArray(typeof(int));                                             

// Add the unique X Values to each of the series                                                       
	// Find the Y value for each of the Map Unit Geometries                                                
	for(int x=0;x<aryXValues.Length;x++)                                                                   
	{                                                                                                      
		for(int mug=0;mug<_mugs.Length;mug++)                                                                 
		{                                                                                                     
			t = _mugs[mug].GetTrait(sd.OBJECTID);                                                                
			tchtArea[mug].Add(aryXValues[x],
                      GetX_YValue(aryXValues[x],t.PixelAttributes));                      
		}                                                                                                     
	}                                                                                                      

}