Installation of new .net maintenance version

TeeChart for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, Xamarin Studio (Android, iOS & Forms) & Monodevelop.
FrancisP

Installation of new .net maintenance version

Post by FrancisP » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:56 am

Dear Supporter,
After downloading and installing the latest Steema.net release, there are no icons in the toolbox (msoft developer studio). Also, attempts to add them to the toolbox fail. Using the browse button in 'customize toolbox' window, pointing to the C:\Program Files\Steema Software\TeeChart for .NET v1\TeeChart.dll file elicits a message that there are no components in that file that can be added to the toolbox. I'm working under XP with all the latest patches installed, as well as the .Net 1.1 framework (but distribution and toolkit).

Any suggestions how to resolve this problem?

Cheers
Francis

Pep
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pep » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:24 am

Hi Francis,

does the installer gives you any error ?
Do you've the MSDN Library installed ? (The installer will try to
plug in the TeeChart for .NET Help files into one of the .NET MSDN library
namespaces and will also try to install the TeeChart for .NET icons into
the VS IDE ).

Josep Lluis Jorge
http://support.steema.com

FrancisP

Post by FrancisP » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:46 pm

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your quick response :D . No, no errors, and the help seems to work, included the Teechart info, but that may be from the previous installation.

I downloaded and installed the new version 3 times, just to make sure but the problem remained :( .

I also removed the old installation manually and installed the new system resulting in the same problem :roll: .

I had to fall back on the previous version, and all is working again (including icons on Steema toolbox), be it with the old system. That seems to point at a problem with the new installation file?

Cheers
Francis

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Marc » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:25 pm

Hello Francis,

Please note that there are 2 installers available for the current TeeChart for .NET release, depending on the version of the Visual Studio.NET/Framework you are running.
- Please check that you are using the correct installer for your VS.NET installation.

The earlier TeeChart release was based on the VS.NET.2002 initiated framework, up to Framework v1.0.3705. It has now been split to provide correct support for v1.0.3705 and v1.1.4322.

Regards,
Marc Meumann
Steema Support

FrancisP

Post by FrancisP » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:05 pm

Hi Marc,

It becomes all a bit clearer now :idea: . Am I right in saying that to use the .Net framework V1, you NEED (to purchase :cry: ) Visual Studio 2003 and, visa verse, VS2002 will NOT work with the new .Net framework?
As I wasn't even aware there is something like VS 2003, it may be helpfull for people like me to spell out these relationships between .Net framework version, Visual Studio version and Steema.Net version on the download site and prevent 1.5 days rooting around to figure this out.

So, as my VS 2002 doesn't work anymore because I installed .Net framework 1 :roll: , I now need to find and re-install the 'old' framework version and download the 2002 Steema.Net installation.

I'll keep you informed of the results,
Thanks for your help so far,

Cheers
Francis

FrancisP

Post by FrancisP » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:06 pm

Hi Marc,

All is working again, thanks for the help.
Now, the reason why I needed the new tchart version is that I want to use a custom palette for a 3D surface (as discussed at length with Chrisopher). As I assume the 'AddPalette' method will do that, could you supply me with a couple of lines of code (preferably VB) to explain its use (can't find any example in the distribution).

Cheers
Francis

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Marc » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:56 pm

Hello Francis,

I'm pleased the Framework version dependency issue is cleared up. We're checking to see how much Framework independency we can build into future TeeChart installers.

Re. AddPalette.

The following code shows a very simple example of creating a Palette and applying it to a Series.

Code: Select all

private void Form1_Load(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
{
  surface1.FillSampleValues();
}

private void button1_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
{
  //apply a new Palette
  surface1.PaletteSteps=7;
  surface1.ClearPalette();
  double dataRange=surface1.YValues.Maximum-surface1.YValues.Minimum;
  double minVal=surface1.YValues.Minimum;
  surface1.AddPalette(minVal+(dataRange*0.1),Color.DarkBlue);
  surface1.AddPalette(minVal+(dataRange*0.2),Color.Blue);
  surface1.AddPalette(minVal+(dataRange*0.3),Color.LightBlue);
  surface1.AddPalette(minVal+(dataRange*0.5),Color.Yellow);
  surface1.AddPalette(minVal+(dataRange*0.7),Color.YellowGreen);
  surface1.AddPalette(minVal+(dataRange*0.8),Color.LightGreen);
  surface1.AddPalette(minVal+(dataRange*0.9),Color.Green);
  surface1.UseColorRange=false;
  surface1.UsePalette=true;
  tChart1.Refresh();
} 
Regards,
Marc Meumann
Steema Support

FrancisP

Post by FrancisP » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:03 pm

Hi Marc,

Great, that did the job (I missed the serie.UseColorRange = False bit :oops: ) and all works as before with the COM object. Thanks very much :D !!
But.... there is more!
Firstly:
Dim seri As New Steema.TeeChart.Styles.Line()
seri.Add(4, 5)
seri.Add(4.5, 5.000000000002)
chrt.Series.Add(seri)
traps a error: Index was outside the bounds of the array. It did that also under the previous version. I can catch that error and round the number, so it is not too bad. Thought I'll let you know for the next maintenance list?

Secondly: Could you spend 2 lines explaining the function and use of the 'Steema.TeeChart.Styles.Custom3DPalette' class 8O ?

Third Q: will that map-utility (based on ESRI shape files) ever be a part of TChart?

Thanks again, STEEMA has the best tech support I've had the pleasure to work with.

Cheers
Francis

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Marc » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:58 am

Hello Francis,

Thanks for the bug report. We'll look at that. ..and thanks for the vote of confidence in the support ! :D

Re. 2 lines explaining the function and use of the 'Steema.TeeChart.Styles.Custom3DPalette'

Custom3DPalette is the underlying Series type offering XYZ Series the option to display Y data in graded colours. The definition for the 'grading' palette for those Series is contained in Custom3DPalette. Series using the class are:

ColorGrid
Contour
Surface
TriSurface
Tower

TeeChart offers default grading colour schemes in Custom3DPalette. AddPalette offers the option to override those defaults.

Re. map-utility (based on ESRI shape files)
The MapSeries functionality presented at http://www.steema.com/products/teechart ... pping.html will form a part of the upcoming VCL (Borland Delphi and Delphi.NET) release of TeeChart. The functionality will then be migrated to be included in the native C# TeeChart for .NET version. That is unlikely to be available before late in the year, I don't have any specific dates to hand yet. We'll put up some information on the web soon about the interoperability between TeeChart NET assemblies and applications created with either Borland's Delphi.NET, C#Builder and/or Microsoft's VS.NET.

Thanks!

Regards,
Marc Meumann
Steema Support