Issues with Bar graph component

TeeChart for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, Xamarin Studio (Android, iOS & Forms) & Monodevelop.
Todd

Issues with Bar graph component

Post by Todd » Mon May 18, 2015 6:19 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to use TeeChart in a WinForms application to display a series of stock data (ranging from 0-23400 data points in a given day) using the FastLine and Bar graph components. However I'm running into some performance issues with the Bar component.

In the first screenshot, I've found that occasionally in instances where data is sparse, bars displayed together tend to overlap when the bottom axis minimum and maximum spread is large but the data points are very few but aggregated (all 12 points in this screenshot below are represented close together but the bars that represent them are overlapping).
teechart-overlapping-bars.png
teechart-overlapping-bars.png (8.99 KiB) Viewed 4517 times

In the second screenshot, having more data points than visible pixels causes the bars to overlap again and display transparency (as you can see with the varying shades of red around 12:00). When this occurs, the performance of my WinForms application takes a hit as resizing the window becomes slow. I've noticed that removing the Bar component from the graph causes performance to increase again, but I'm wondering if redrawing the graph can be simplified through some property to ease the performance issues and prevent bars from overlapping.
teechart-fading-bars.png
teechart-fading-bars.png (18.53 KiB) Viewed 4503 times

I tried using the Volume component and while it had faster redrawing, it does not have a way to specify wider bars for data points. All bars show up as 1-pixel wide as shown in the screenshot below.
teechart-volume.png
teechart-volume.png (8.59 KiB) Viewed 4505 times

I'm looking for help to resolve these issues and any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd

Christopher
Guru

Re: Issues with Bar graph component

Post by Christopher » Tue May 19, 2015 10:22 am

Hello Tod,

May I suggest you use the Histogram series type? It is this series type TeeChart uses internally for a couple of its financial functions, namely the MACDFuntion and the MoneyFlowFunction. If you are still experiencing problems, would you be so kind as to paste here some simply code with which I can reproduce the problem?
Best Regards,
Christopher Ireland / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Instructions - How to post in this forum