Licencing error with VS2005 on Win7 x64

TeeChart for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, Xamarin Studio (Android, iOS & Forms) & Monodevelop.
Alain Bolduc

Licencing error with VS2005 on Win7 x64

Post by Alain Bolduc » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:26 pm

There is my setup:
Windows 7, x64
Visual Studio 2005, .NET Framework 2.0
I installed "Steema TeeChart v3", in the "C:\Program Files (x86)" folder.
I installed "Steema TeeChart v3 x64 Build" install kit, but it's installed in (x86) folder!!!

To reproduce the issue:
I created a new C# class library project.
I included a reference to "TeeChart Pro" via the "Add Reference..." dialog, .NET tab.
I also added a new "Licences.licx" file, which contains: "Steema.TeeChart.TChart, TeeChart".
I get the following error when the component is built:
"Exception occurred creating type 'Steema.TeeChart.TChart, TeeChart, Version=3.5.3188.18561, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=9c8126276c77bdb7' System.ComponentModel.LicenseException: An instance of type 'Steema.TeeChart.Chart' was being created, and a valid license could not be granted for the type 'Steema.TeeChart.Chart'. Please, contact the manufacturer of the component for more information."

There is a any REAL x64 SDK to download? Or what is the best way to develop in a x64 environment?

Thanks for your help.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Licencing error with VS2005 on Win7 x64

Post by Narcís » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:05 am

Hi Alain,

This is most likely that your developer license was not correctly installed in the x64 machine. I recommend you to check what I explained here. If the design-time license is not correctly installed please use TeeRegister tool available at the client download area for installing it.

TeeChart.dll x64 build is the only 64-bit specific component available and it should only be used for compiling 64-bit native applications. For design-time support you should use the x86 build and switch to TeeChart.dll x64 when compiling 64-bit applications.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

Alain Bolduc

Post by Alain Bolduc » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:40 pm

Thank you for your quick answer, it's appreciated.
But unfortunatly, it didn't solve my problem.

Firstly, I understand very well the Licensing mechanism, Steema uses "LC.exe" tool from Microsoft and it's the good way. The 32-bit version of my application is working very well with the Steema's licensing.
I also understand that VS2005 is 32-bit, and the reference to "TeeChart Pro" must come from the x86 program files folder. But during compilation time, it should come from the x64 program files folder, not a 64-bit in an x86 new folder name!
Please see: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steema Software\TeeChart for .NET v3 x64 Build"

By the way, the "LC.exe" tool runs in 64-bit mode, even though the VS2005 runs in 32-bit mode.
As I understand about install kits provided by Steema, both install kit (32-bit and 64-bit) are installed in the x86 folder and are 32-bit. The operating system (Windows 7 x64) doesn't recognize the 64-bit version as a real 64-bit install kit.
This cause the 64-bit registry is not updated with the good licensing information that Steema should provide.
For the compilation time (not design time), the 64-bit registry should also be updated with the good Steema path (as it's currently done for the 32-bit folder, it allows VS to see the component in the "Add Reference..." tab).

So please, I would like to have a way to update the 64-bit registry for the licensing and the compilation: an update, a patch, a *.reg, a manual procedure! I accept everything!

Thanks for your help, best regards.
Alain
Last edited by Alain Bolduc on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:49 pm

Hi Alain,

Yes, that's why I recommend you to use TeeRegister tool, which installs the 64-bit part of the license in the registry. Actually it's called TeeRegV3.zip, sorry :oops: and it's at the TeeChart for .NET v3 download area. Have you tried registering the license using TeeRegV3?

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

Alain Bolduc

Post by Alain Bolduc » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:58 pm

Hi! Thanks again for your quick post!

Yes it's working VERY well... I didn't understand this "manual" part :oops: , I though it was done automatically by the 64-bit install kit version.
I'm sorry. I'll write a procedure for the team here! :D

Thanks again and have a good day,

Alain

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:03 pm

Hi Alain,

You're very welcome! I'm glad to hear that has solved the issue at your end.
Alain Bolduc wrote:I'm sorry. I'll write a procedure for the team here!
Please bear in mind that TeeRegV3 tool function is to check and install developer license for those machines/developers holding the so called license. It's not necessary for deploying applications. As soon as the applications are correctly compiled with the licenses.licx as an embedded resource they can be distributed without any other requirement at the clients machine than copying the necessary files for the application to run.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

Alain Bolduc

Post by Alain Bolduc » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:06 pm

Very good, it's perfect!