How do I get myseries value from a click not on the series?

TeeChart for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, Xamarin Studio (Android, iOS & Forms) & Monodevelop.
charlesw

How do I get myseries value from a click not on the series?

Post by charlesw » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:37 pm

Hello,
I need to visually set boundaries on a series - left click on the left side and right click on the right side then do stuff to the selection only. I can do this pretty easilywith clickseries but that means that I have to click on the series - and the lines are pretty small (it's not always easy to hit them). I prefer clicking anywhere on the chart and getting the series value.

ClickBackground doesn't capture left clicks (why not?) and doesn't give any numbers I'd like to see anyway. At least, not with:
CalcPosPoint
CalcPosValue
CalcXPosValue
(all of those on the MouseEventArgs, of course)

So... Thoughts on what I should be using? I'm probably using the .net 2 version (but will upgrade soonish to 3).

thx,
c

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:24 am

Hi charlesw,

You can do something like in the All Features\Welcome !\Chart styles\Standard\Line(Strip)\Interpolating line series example in the features demo, available at TeeChart's program group.

You can also select a group of points as discussed on this thread.

Hope this helps!
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

charlesw

Post by charlesw » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:59 pm

Wouldn't you know it - I'm using the .Net1 version and that series/category doesn't exist in the demo project. Guess I'll have to do it manually.

Thanks,
c

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:25 pm

Hi charlesw,

This is not a series style. Just a demo on how to interpolate values in a standard line series. I think you should also be able to implement it in v1. You could download the evaluation version and implementing example's code in v1.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

charlesw

Post by charlesw » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:34 pm

I understand - it's not a special series. But it's not in my V1 demo. I can look on the machine of one of the other guys here for a later version demo. Ah. No. I suppose I need to upgrade anyway, I may as well go ahead and do that now.

charles

edit: OK, I bought the upgrade. But your "secure" site is only using 256 bit AES for encryption. That doesn't sound very secure!

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:13 am

Hi charles,

Thank you for you comments relating to security and encryption, we will revise setups. If you have any reference information supporting evidence of weaknesses of 256 bit AES please let us know as sources of information we have consulted consider AES a very secure encryption method.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

charlesw

Post by charlesw » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:20 pm

Oh, you know, Narcis. It's my web browser (Opera) that complains that your encryption is old and easily hacked. Do I really want to continue? So I poked around and tried to figure out what encryption you were using. It looked like it was 256 bit AES but you're right - it should be pretty secure. So maybe that's not what you're using. Well, shucks. How about you try to place an online order using Opera? You can see the message yourself...

regards,
charles

charlesw

Post by charlesw » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:48 pm

Anyway, still not having very much fun with this. I'd like to get the x coordinate of a particular index so that I can draw some bars across my charts. Well... Should be easy, right? Just calcxpos on a point, right? Only, ha, I don't have any points. I added the values to the series with add(x,y). So I have a seriesxypoint. And I can't calc on that. And I can't convert that to a point. Sigh! I suppose I can rewrite my entire class but that would be silly.

c

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:53 pm

Hi charlesw,

Can you please send us a simple example project we can run "as-is" to reproduce the problem here? You can either post your files at news://www.steema.net/steema.public.attachments newsgroup or at our upload page.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

charlesw

Post by charlesw » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:38 pm

That went up as "Windows 2003 vb1 Application.zip". Yes, yes, we do a lot of complicated things to get it to work. And yet... It's simple!

We want to capture a rolling window of about 2000 data records and show a small part of those (we only show some of what we record - we still want to record all of the different values). We want to have the user select a subset for analysis. We save the 2000 data records and say which part of the data the user selected. We want to be able to load the data back into the charts so that it looks just like it did before the user ran the analysis.

thanks,
charles

Edit: the important bit... The bit I'm missing right now... Can be found on this line: "TODO get the right fromLeft and toRight. "

charlesw

Post by charlesw » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:50 pm

Or, I'm happy to rewrite the whole thing - no problem. But I don't see any documentation on using your products. There are the demos but those are not helpful. There is the automatically-generated bits in the "help" but those don't even tell you how to use the functions they contain - much less how to do anything interesting. Anyway, ranting aside, I'd be happy to rewrite the whole thing using vs2008 and tch 3. Whatever. For that I will need guidance on a number of issues.

The project:
I would like to capture a rolling window of 2000 records. Each record has 12 fields. I would like to graph 3 of those fields - probably on different graphs, all with auto-resizing vertically. At a given moment, the user can select a section of the data with right and left clicks - the selection is shown through the use of vertical bars. The user can zoom in horizontally on the section between the bars but this should zoom in on all three graphed fields and should auto-resize vertically. The user can save the 2000 records, the position of the bars and some other data and comments to a file.
The saved data can be read back into the program and will show the window as it was when the user saved it.

Perhaps I'm making my life difficult by managing all of this myself. Perhaps it's all very simple to let teecharts do almost everything. I eagerly await your thoughts.

charles

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:06 pm

Hi charles,

Thanks for your feedback. I haven't had the time to look at your project yet. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to do it and will get back to you ASAP.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:28 am

Hi charles,
Perhaps I'm making my life difficult by managing all of this myself. Perhaps it's all very simple to let teecharts do almost everything. I eagerly await your thoughts.
Yes, I think it would be much easier using TeeChart for .NET native template files for that (*.ten). For plotting the vertical bars I'd use ColorLine tools. *.ten files will save each chart for you with its data and tools positions. You'll find information on how to use them in Tutorial12 - Exporting and Importing Charts. For synchronizing tools between charts you can do something as in the All Features\Welcome !\Tools\Cursor\Synchronizing Two example in the features demo. Both features demo an tutorials can be found at TeeChart's program group. Also notice full VB demo project can be found at C:\Program Files\Steema Software\TeeChart for .NET v3\Examples\DemoProjectVB.

I'm not sure if this covers all your needs. If there's any aspect I have missed don't hesitate to let us know.

Hope this helps!
Best Regards,
Steema Software