Runtime licensing issue

TeeChart for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, Xamarin Studio (Android, iOS & Forms) & Monodevelop.
vijay

Runtime licensing issue

Post by vijay » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:34 am

Hi,
I am facing a license issue while using Steema Teechart WPF version in one of my dlls. The problem is that we will be supplying the dll to our customer and they will be using it in their application.

I checked in TeeChart's tutorial 17 [The one related to licensing] and in the forums and found that the license.licx of the application should conatin an entry for the teechart. But this is not possiblefor us as the application is not created by us.

Is there any way to avoid this?

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Marc » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:55 am

Hello,

If your customer is accessing the TeeChart API in any way at designtime they should purchase a TeeChart Developer License. If the dll is closed for designtime use and acts as a plugin then please send an email to sales@steema.com requesting access to the TeeChart plugin version. The version permits binding the TeeChart license at dll assmebly level without requiring a license entry in a calling assembly.

Regards,
Marc Meumann
Steema Support

vijay

Post by vijay » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:20 am

Thanks a lot for the reply.
Customer wont be directly accessing TeeChart API. So the TeeChart plugin version is the one required.

Regards
Vijay

vijay

Post by vijay » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:05 am

Hello,
I have created a wpf user control using steema TChart. I have downloaded the Steema plug-in, but it does not contains a .net3.5 tchart.wpf.dll build.Is there any separate plug-in build for tchart.wpf.dll?
How do i use my user control in an application without Tchart license.

Thanks,
Vijay.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:43 am

Hi Vijay,

For next maintenance release, due to be out in 2 weeks, we expect the plug in license version being also included with "standard" version. This will also affect TeeChart.WPF.dll.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

vijay

Post by vijay » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:35 am

I have downloaded the new release of TeeChart for bringing in plugin support into my WPF assembly. What are all things t to be considered while developing an user control which uses Steema TeeChart WPF Version

I tried creating a user control which uses TeeChart in it. But when I try to load it in wpf application’s designer environment.
I am getting an exception like “Cannot create an instance of Tchart”this.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:01 am

Hi vijay,

For using with WPF applications I guess you should create a WPF User Control Library. The TeeChart assembly and objects for WinForms applications and user controls (TeeChart.dll) are different from the assembly and objects for WPF applications (TeeChart.WPF.dll).
Best Regards,
Steema Software

vijay

Post by vijay » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:05 am

Hi Narcis,
I actually used the TeeChart.WPF.TChart class to create the WPF UserContorl. [Sorry to confuse you]
But I am facing issues when I try to load it in visual studio designer

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:44 pm

Hi vijay,

Which are the exact issues you are facing?

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

vijay

Post by vijay » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:37 am

The teechart constructor is throwing a license exception when we tried to place the user control in Visual studio designer. This I have tried in a machine without Steema License

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:22 am

Hi vijay,

We are building a WPF licensing model to see what requirements are necessary. We will get back to you when we have further news.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

vijay

Post by vijay » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:47 am

narcis wrote:For next maintenance release, due to be out in 2 weeks, we expect the plug in license version being also included with "standard" version. This will also affect TeeChart.WPF.dll.
As you said,
Could please tell what kind of support that is currently implemented for teechart.wpf.dll.How do i make use of the plug-in version in my current user control?

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Marc » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:58 am

Hello,

The current TeeChart version licensing model works correctly for the WPF implementation for conventional WPF applications. What we are checking is what special licensing setup is necessary if you require to make a reusable control as seems to be the case from your description. A reusable component for the plugin model requires that the component that houses WPF TeeChart be passed as argument to the TChart constructor. For WPF we believe that may be achieved via WPF ObjectDataProvider but haven't yet had the chance to fully follow that through.

On the other hand you should find no problems building standard WPF applications. If you are encountering problems at that level then there may be a setup problem at your developer machine.

Regards,
Marc Meumann
Steema Support

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Marc » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:57 am

Hello,

After further checks to confirm the licensing requirement for TeeChart in the WPF environment the basic underlying rules apply identically to those of the TeeChart Winforms control.

1. Standard WPF projects using a WPF TeeChart on a form require the license.licx file to compile the license into the project. The development machine requires the Developer key installed in the machine.

2. Projects that load WPF TeeChart using 'assembly load' at runtime may use the plugin TeeChart constructor to associate the TeeChart license with the assembly to be loaded. That assembly will have been built according to the conditions in point 1, but the container application (loading the plugin assembly) requires no TeeChart license reference or installed TeeChart developer license.

3. A WPF assembly (a compiled dll for example) housing TeeChart, that is used as a distributable control to be opened in the Visual Studio IDE requires that the licenses.licx file of the container assembly contain a reference to TeeChart and that the designer key be present in the machine where the 'designing' takes place.

In summary: If your distribution method is more similar to 3 than 2 and no setting of TeeChart parameters (Chart type, etc) is exposed in the distributed assembly then please email steema sales (sales@steema.com) quoting this forum thread, and access to a non-license controlled version of TeeChart will be made available to you. If your control exposes access in any way to Chart settings please let us know in your email and we'll offer alternative options.

Regards,
Marc
Steema Support

vijay

Post by vijay » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:33 pm

Marc wrote:Hello,

If your control exposes access in any way to Chart settings please let us know in your email and we'll offer alternative options.
Does this means exposing teechart classes?

Thanks @ Regards
Vijaylal.S.V