License problem in building dll

TeeChart for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, Xamarin Studio (Android, iOS & Forms) & Monodevelop.
Aptitude

License problem in building dll

Post by Aptitude » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:57 am

We have purchased TeeChart .NET with source code and one year support.

First question, I am trying to build a dll containing some custom controls using TChart. I have followed the steps mentioned in the Tutorial 17. If I include this dll in any project on my machine it runs fine. But if I include it in any project on some other machine it gives the "valid license not granted error". Kindly let me know the fix to this and if you need more information please feel free to ask.

Second query is where is the source code located? I assume that as I bought the one with the source code, I should have access to the source code of the library, but I am not able to locate it on my machine properly.

Please reply at the earliest.

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Marc » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:20 pm

Hello,

Using Tutorial 17 that you have already consulted as a guide, please check that your project contains the licenses.licx file. All code will run correctly on your development machine if the Developer License is installed. If you modify the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Steema Software\TeeChart.NET
"DesignKeyV3"="Steema.TeeChart.TChart is a licensed component."
to something else then your compiles should fail with a licensing error and any compiled project that does not correctly contain the teeChart License will fail with a license error.

Is your application a runtime exe or a designtime dll? Does TeeChart form part of a control dynamically loaded by other controls? In general terms a licenses.licx reference to TeeChart should exist at the highest level project in the solution.

If you are compiling from the sourcecode version of TeeChart then you define the licensing setup you want to use and you will not need to include the Steema License control.

To download the sourcecode version of teeChart, please use the customer access codes you were sent at purchase time to access the download page for the product.

Regards,
Marc Meumann
Steema Support

Aptitude

Post by Aptitude » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:43 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.
My application is a dll that contains a couple of controls, some of which are based on TeeChart. So I was hoping that someone can use these controls at design-time in their project. Or even at run-time, if design-time is not feasible.

Thanks for letting us know about the source of the source code :) That's much appreciated.

Best Regards

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Marc » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:52 pm

Hello,

From an administrative viewpoint, if you are offering up access to any Charting functionality in your controls please check with sales@steema.com about licensing conditions that might apply to TeeChart's distribution.

From a technical viewpoint, if you intend to distribute with the standard TeeChart binaries and not the source compiled code then you may need the plug-in version of TeeChart. It offers the possibility for TeeChart to be used in dynamically loaded assemblies without the requirement for licenses.licx in the client application. The sales department can help with access to this version if required. If you use TeeChart source to compile your controls then the plug-in version is not necessary.

Regards,
Marc
Steema Support