Speed problems

TeeChart for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, Xamarin Studio (Android, iOS & Forms) & Monodevelop.
Aaron.Peronto

Post by Aaron.Peronto » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:01 pm

C++ Builder 5 is what is used here.
I am not tremendously familiar with Builder myself.
I am the one who will be doing the new development in C# in VS.NET.

I will check out the full feature eval version.
Not sure how long it will take for us to get out test done but it would be nice to have the full features available during this testing. I will get that version today and see about what sort of trial time we have to work with on that full feature trial version.

Thanks again for the quick responses.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:06 pm

Hi Aaron,

I've checked that Function_DownSampling example doesn't exist in BCB5 but exists for BCB6. If necessary I can send you the sources for this demo.

Regarding TeeChart for .NET v2 evaluation version, it has the very same features as the registered version and lasts for 40 days. If this period is too short for your testing please contact us when it's over.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

Aaron.Peronto

Post by Aaron.Peronto » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:37 pm

I have installed and begun using the full feature eval version of the latest .NET component.
This has been a big help in letting us use the functions built in to TeeChart as well as some other features that we will eventually need to have in our application. This is really helping us in our task of determining if we want to make the move to the C# environment and use TeeChart as our plotting control.

The major question that we still have is performance on large series of data.
I have run some tests using a 30 day span of data that we typically use. There are a total of almost 6,000,000 total points in this data which consists of 28 separate series. I plotted this data using a CustomPoint series and then again in separate test runs with the FastLine series.
Using our CustomPoint derived class, after the data has been completely retrieved and loaded into the series, it takes about 40 seconds for the graph to fully render. Using the FastLine series (with DrawAllPoints set to FALSE) it takes just a little more than 5 seconds to render.

If there is something similar to the DrawAllPoints setting that will be implemented in the CustomPoint series in the new version, would it be possible to find out about that as soon as possible? We have seen another plotting program that does a similar function to what DrawAllPoints does and we saw that the plot time was very similar to the FastLine. Since our series of data do overlap, this setting seems to gain us a great deal in performance.

I like the performance of the FastLine series but we really need to have the ability to display our series as either lines or simply points so the current implementation of the FastLine will not quite work for us.

Any info you can provide about the magnitude of the performance improvements coming in v3 would be very helpful in our evaluation.

Thanks again.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:02 pm

Hi Aaron,

Have you tried the DownSampling function example with TeeChart for .NET v2 Pro as I suggested some time ago?

Regarding v3, we expect to have a beta version available very soon. Please be aware at this forum for further information.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

Aaron.Peronto

Post by Aaron.Peronto » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:52 pm

Thanks for the update Narcis.

Yes, I did try the downsampling function but it changes the appearance of the graph too much for what we need to do. We are looking at data where even small fluctuations are important to note. The downsampling makes the graph considerably different looking under any of the sampling methods. That visual difference could cause our users to overlook a small data fluctuation that needed to be investigated.
The fastline works for us because points that differ from the others always get drawn, its the overlapping data points that get left out. If fastline could be used to just draw the points without the line, it would be perfect for what we are trying to do I think.

Thanks again for the update on v3. I will keep watching the forums for the beta announcement.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:45 am

Hi Aaron,

To only visualize the points without the lines you could use Point series and set the pointer HorizSize and VertSize properties to 1. Have you tried this approach?
Best Regards,
Steema Software

Aaron.Peronto

Post by Aaron.Peronto » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:23 pm

I am currently using a Point series to plot our data the way you mentioned.

There is just a dramatic speed increase with the FastLine series using the ShowAllPoints setting.
If there was such a thing that would allow us to only draw a particular point one time with a point series, that would really help our speed I am sure.

Our data tends to overlap some which is why the FastLine series gives us a large performance improvement.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I am in the process of completing our review of the .NET component to see if this is the direction we wish to proceed. I have a feeling my trial version of the full .NET control will run out before our formal review on the 17th so I might need to see if there is a way to extend that trial time by a few weeks.

I see that there is a new update for the .NET version that is supposed to fix at least one of the issues that we had run into so far (dash pattern).

Is there any news on the v3 Beta release yet?

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:31 pm

Hi Aaron,
I am in the process of completing our review of the .NET component to see if this is the direction we wish to proceed. I have a feeling my trial version of the full .NET control will run out before our formal review on the 17th so I might need to see if there is a way to extend that trial time by a few weeks.
Don't worry, if your trial version expires contact us and we will extend it.
I see that there is a new update for the .NET version that is supposed to fix at least one of the issues that we had run into so far (dash pattern).
Yes, this was implemented in the latest release and will be included in the next evaluation release which we expect to be ready before the end of the week.
Is there any news on the v3 Beta release yet?
We expect it to be ready in about 10 days.
Best Regards,
Steema Software