Installation Issues - Not Impressed

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
Brett

Installation Issues - Not Impressed

Post by Brett » Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:40 pm

Hello,

We just purchased the Charting Pro Components and installation is hardly what we expect from a commercial product.

First, there are no installation instructions.

Second, after installing, Delphi7 comes up with dozens of error messages upon start-up and the components are disabled. We remove the sample TeeChart 4.x component and it gets further. However, it still can't find dcltree77. We add it to the path. Still can't find. Finally we disable the decision cube stuff -- even though the installation program said it rebuilt them -- and it finally loads. None of these steps are documented.

Third, the examples won't compile. Load and try to run teenew and we get a fatal error "Draw3D_Canvas.pas(20): Unit ImaPoint was compiled with a different version of ImageBar.LoadBitmapFromResourceName".

Does Steema have a set of working installation instructions? Items which need to be removed prior to installation (and steps to do so), steps to recompile existing components, and so on. It seems that the installation program by itself does not install the components correctly.

Thanks,

Brett

Pep
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pep » Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:04 pm

Hi Brett,

normally the installation should work fine, this depends if you've installed any other third party tools (reporting tools,...) before. The only thing that I think could help to have a good installation is to remove the old (Standard) TeeChart packages from the list before to runt he installer.

Also, you should have an install.txt file with the detailed steps to do the installation manually under :
c:\Program files\Steema Software\TeeChart Pro v7 fo Delphi X\DelphiX\

If you still having problems let us know which errors are you getting and we'll try to help you.

Brett

Post by Brett » Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:43 pm

Pep,

>this depends if you've installed any other third party tools (reporting >tools,...) before.

Such as? I have lots of third party tools. Including ReportBuilder. And what are the instructions if I do?

>The only thing that I think could help to have a good installation is to
>remove the old (Standard) TeeChart packages from the list before to
>runt he installer.

I tried this. However, since there are no instructions on how to do this, I'm not sure if this has been done correctly. Old TeeChart 4.x has been removed from the packages list? I've then tried re-installing TeeChart7.x three separate times.

Whenever I try compiling the example I get:
"[Fatal Error] Draw3D_Canvas.pas(20): Unit ImaPoint was compiled with a different version of ImageBar.LoadBitmapFromResourceName"
and
"[Fatal Error] Draw3D_Canvas.pas(20): Unit TeeImaEd was compiled with a different version of ImageBar.TImageBarSeries."

Thanks,

Brett

Pep
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pep » Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:41 pm

Hi Brett,
Such as? I have lots of third party tools. Including ReportBuilder. And what are the instructions if I do?
You should make sure that they are compatible with TeeChart Pro (which normally are). In your case, if you're using ReportBuilder the solution is to download and install Report Builder that supports TeeChart Pro version that you're using.

Also, the correct installing order is:

1) unistall old versions (TeeChart, ReportBuilder)
2) install TeeChart PRO
3) install Report Builder.

Following these steps is necessary because RB installer looks which TeeChart packages are installed at the moment. If the installer cannot find TeeChart Pro packages then it assumes the customer is using older TeeChart version and install different Report Builder (RB) version.
Whenever I try compiling the example I get:
"[Fatal Error] Draw3D_Canvas.pas(20): Unit ImaPoint was compiled with a different version of ImageBar.LoadBitmapFromResourceName"
and
"[Fatal Error] Draw3D_Canvas.pas(20): Unit TeeImaEd was compiled with a different version of ImageBar.TImageBarSeries."
Which TeeChart Pro and Delphi/BCB versions are you using ?
Here I 'm able to recompile the TeeChart Pro v7 Demo Features project with Delphi 7.

Brett

Post by Brett » Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:40 pm

Pep,

Ok. I repeated the instalation at 4th-time. Removed RB (and the TeeChart 4.x which came with Delphi 7), installed TeeChartPro, installed ReportBuilder, etc., etc. ReportBuilder sees and uses TeeChart 7.x (and I'm using the latest version).

However, I still can't compile the demo. (And it obviously doesn't use RB). Same error.

Using Delphi 7 and TeeChart 7 (just downloaded from the site today, so it must be the latest).

Thanks,

Brett

Pep
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pep » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:41 am

Hi Brett,

which Delphi 7 version are you using (Standard, Pro,...) ? Also, is the Trial version ?

Brett

Post by Brett » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:48 pm

Pep,

Enterprise (7.0, Build 4.453). The TeeChart7 is the full copy with source.

Thanks,

Brett

Pep
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pep » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:08 pm

Hi Brett,

have you tried to install it from sources ? Download the latest TeeChart Pro v7 with Sources, run it, and then you can use the TeeRecompile tool (included in the installation) to install the TeeChart Pro packages from sources.
You will find the TeeRecompile tool and also a install.txt file with the detailed steps to install the sources manually under :
C:\Program Files\Steema Software\TeeChart Pro v7 Full Source Code

Brett

Post by Brett » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:26 pm

Pep,

Same result. Unit ImaPoint was compiled with a different version of ImageBar.LoadBitmapFromResource and Unit TeeImaEd was compiled with a different version of ImageBar.TImageBarSeries.

Thanks,

Brett

Pep
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pep » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:42 am

Hi Brett,

I think the problem is some old TeeChart files still in the Delphi search paths.Make sure you''ve removed all of them before to recompile the TeeChart Pro sources. You can make a list of all the TeeChart Pro files (I know it's a pain but it's the better method) and do a search for them (ignore the extension) and if you find any of them with older date remove/backup them.