TeeChart 6.01 -> TeeChart 8.04 Problems

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
Gerard

TeeChart 6.01 -> TeeChart 8.04 Problems

Post by Gerard » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:43 am

G'day,

I recently upgrade from BCB6 to BCB2009, and subsequently had to upgrade TeeChart from 6.01 Pro to 8.04 Pro. So I've migrated my program over, along with its TeeChart component.

Basically my graph works by giving users a checkboxlist that they can use to toggle series on or off. Since updating the bottom axis has not been updating properly and stays stuck on the single entry "30/12/1899 12:00:00 AM".

However, the left and right axis and their associated series seem to be behaving properly.

Additionally, the Background colour (of just the graph) doesn't seem to be getting set properly anymore.

It's possible some of the options just didn't migrate - another one of my TeeChart's mysteriously lost a property or two during the upgrade.

I know it's a long shot, but I'm wondering if any changes in TeeChart could account for this?

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:56 am

Hi Gerard,
Basically my graph works by giving users a checkboxlist that they can use to toggle series on or off. Since updating the bottom axis has not been updating properly and stays stuck on the single entry "30/12/1899 12:00:00 AM".
This may indicate that your x values didn't upgrade correctly. Could you please send us a simple example project we can run "as-is" to reproduce the problem here?

You can either post your files at news://www.steema.net/steema.public.attachments newsgroup or at our upload page.
Additionally, the Background colour (of just the graph) doesn't seem to be getting set properly anymore.
What has changed on the background?
It's possible some of the options just didn't migrate - another one of my TeeChart's mysteriously lost a property or two during the upgrade.
Which are the properties that were lost?
I know it's a long shot, but I'm wondering if any changes in TeeChart could account for this?
Backwards compatibility is something we specially care about when developing new versions but sometimes it's also unavoidable bracking old features.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

Gerard

Post by Gerard » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:40 pm

G'day again
narcis wrote:This may indicate that your x values didn't upgrade correctly. Could you please send us a simple example project we can run "as-is" to reproduce the problem here?
Not trivially, I'm afraid.
What has changed on the background?
The actual TeeChart background is gray, and the background of the graph itself used to be handled in-code by the Chart->BackColor property. Currently the whole lot is always gray, regardless of trying to change the chart's own background.
Which are the properties that were lost?
We have a wind rose, and its
Chart->Axis->LeftAxis->Labels->Style->Min Separation value got changed from the old 10% to 0%. The Min Separation on other axis also changed, but they're not used anyway.
Backwards compatibility is something we specially care about when developing new versions but sometimes it's also unavoidable bracking old features.
There's a chance that this fault has nothing to do with TeeChart - six years is a long time between updates, and there's a chance it's something changed in the IDE that's done it.

Thank you for the prompt response. I'll let you know if I figure it out.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:01 am

Hi Gerard,
The actual TeeChart background is gray, and the background of the graph itself used to be handled in-code by the Chart->BackColor property. Currently the whole lot is always gray, regardless of trying to change the chart's own background.
You can try using Color instead:

Code: Select all

Chart1->Color=clRed;
We have a wind rose, and its
Chart->Axis->LeftAxis->Labels->Style->Min Separation value got changed from the old 10% to 0%. The Min Separation on other axis also changed, but they're not used anyway.
Do you mean Chart1->Axes->Left->LabelsSeparation?
There's a chance that this fault has nothing to do with TeeChart - six years is a long time between updates, and there's a chance it's something changed in the IDE that's done it.
In that case you may also want to check TDateTime specifications. This may help you identifing the problem.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

Gerard

Post by Gerard » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:58 pm

narcis wrote:You can try using Color instead
This works, however it changes the entire TeeChart colour. I want to change the background colour of the graph only - and have the remaining TeeChart object have a different background colour.

If I'm being unclear let me know and I'll post a picture to explain better.

Edit:
I fixed it - the problem was the Chart > Walls > Visible Walls was unchecked. Checking this made it all work as it used to. :D

Do you mean Chart1->Axes->Left->LabelsSeparation?
Yeah.
I have tracked down the problem. It had to do with some of my code that generates the date and times information being broken by BCB2009 using UnicodeString. The conversion failed and hence the x-axis values weren't been produced.

A minor change to two lines of code later and the whole thing is working again.

Thank you very much for your help, Narcis. =)