How best to create a series containing logic traces

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
bfrost

How best to create a series containing logic traces

Post by bfrost » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:46 am

Hi, I am in the process of converting an in-house chart drawing Delphi form to use TeeChart. The form displays a mix of analogue and logic traces (just like an oscilloscope). The analogue traces are easy and working fine. To draw the logic traces, I've created a TFastLineSeries for each trace and used AddXY to specify only the transitions for efficienty. I must make up to 128 logic traces available in a single 'plot' alongside (or behind) the analogue traces and because the chart may not be high enough for clarity, a scrollbar had been added to restrict visible logic traces using Series.Visible. An example is shown in the attatched "Example of present solution".

The problem that I am having is that it's slow to render the 128 traces for the first time (even with Begin/End update) and the more I dig into using a separate series for each logic trace (of possible 128) the more I feel that I should be creating a derivative of TSeries to draw my own points of the canvas - this is the method presently used in the legacy form and it works fine. I dont need 3D for the logic traces.

Any suggestions please?
Thanks
Brian.
2010.10.22-100940.JPG
Example of present solution
2010.10.22-100940.JPG (158.48 KiB) Viewed 4495 times

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How best to create a series containing logic traces

Post by Narcís » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:54 am

Hi Brian,

I recommend you to read the Real-time charting article here. If this doesn't help don't hesitate to let us know.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum