Filling series freeze Windows (Reboot needed)

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
MagFly

Filling series freeze Windows (Reboot needed)

Post by MagFly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:14 pm

I just narrowed down another error I have seen on the TChart2010 version.

Sometimes we have experienced that the entire application hangs (deadlock), and this started when we moved to TChart2010 from previous version 8.
I was just able to create a small example that can reproduce this error.

If I fill the series with min and max set to 0 (and no automatic scale of the axis), the application hangs.

I think that this bug is really important to fix, it could possible solve a whole lot of other problems.
Attachments
SteemaBugReproduce.zip
Filling series with manual min and max set to zero on bottom axis freeze Windows
(87.39 KiB) Downloaded 424 times

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Filling series freeze Windows (Reboot needed)

Post by Narcís » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:07 am

Hi MagFly,

This works fine for me here using both v2010.02 release, which is the latest available at the client area, and our current sources. Which TeeChart version are you using? Should I follow any specific instructions to reproduce the issue here?

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

MagFly

Post by MagFly » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:23 am

I am using Build 2010.02.20202, but it was the same in the previous version.

You should press the button in the test application, and then quickly try to resize the application form.
On Windows 7 x64 (the only OS I have tested this on) it hangs the entire system.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:00 am

Hi MagFly,

Ok, thans for the info. I tried this and the application becomes unresponsive for some time but goes back to normality after a little time. I have tried this in x86 Windows XP and Windows 7 machines. Have you been able to reproduc this in different environments?

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

MagFly

Post by MagFly » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:22 am

I just tried it on 32-bit Vista and Windows 7 x86, and as you say, it becomes unresponsive for about 4-5 seconds, but at least returns.
However, on 64-bit versions of Vista and Windows 7, the application never responds again, I have to reboot (cant even kill the application from Process Manager).

Because of this nasty error, I suspect possible calls TChart makes to DLL's (gdiplus.dll??) or some OpenGL (Is it used?) makes them to hang internally.
With some knowledge about how TChart renders the graph it should be possible to see where during the rendering it becomes unresponsive.

Let me know if you want me to test anything else on this matter.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:58 am

Hi MagFly,
I just tried it on 32-bit Vista and Windows 7 x86, and as you say, it becomes unresponsive for about 4-5 seconds, but at least returns.
However, on 64-bit versions of Vista and Windows 7, the application never responds again, I have to reboot (cant even kill the application from Process Manager).
Ok, thanks. I could reproduce this in a Win 7 64-bit machine. The application CPU usage kept increasing, I couldn't kill the process and ended up rebooting the system. I have added the issue to the defect list (
TV52015479) to be investigated.
Because of this nasty error, I suspect possible calls TChart makes to DLL's (gdiplus.dll??) or some OpenGL (Is it used?) makes them to hang internally.
With some knowledge about how TChart renders the graph it should be possible to see where during the rendering it becomes unresponsive.
I don't think it's a GDI+ nor OpenGL issue, none of them are used in that project. Default canvas is GDI for Win32.
Best Regards,
Steema Software