TeeChart 7.07: Execution time of series.addxy method

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
ulliban

TeeChart 7.07: Execution time of series.addxy method

Post by ulliban » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:36 pm

Hi Folks,

i run into a very strange behaviour of the pointseries.addxy method.

I read time series from a textfile. To give you an idea about the speed: I read 130000 text lines containing the values for 9 different series in about 20 s. Data is added using the addxy method to the 9 series.

Then i let the user choose two series that shall be tested for their correlation against each other. In order to do that i open a new chart, create a pointseries and and use the addxy method to add values to the new series. I take the y-values from one of the original series to make them the x-values of the new series and i take the y-values of the second original series to make them the y-values of the new series, just as one does to check for a correlation. However, this needs 7 minutes and 25 s to add 130000 point to this SINGLE series!!

As if this were not already strange enough: I made me a progress bar and see that adding data is SOMETIMES faster and SOMETIMES slower.

As far as I can judge from now the ONLY difference between reading data from the file and adding data to the correlation series is that with the data file the x-values are in a strictly ASCENDING order (because these are time series) while with the correlation series the x-values as well as the y-values can go up and down. To check that, I added artificial data with the x-values in strictly ascending order to the correlation series. For 130000 points that was SO blindigly fast that I had difficulties to measure it with a stop watch (a few hundred ms).

What can I do to speed things up???? 7 minutes is inacceptable!

Please note that in both cases the autorepaint property of the charts was turned off, so drawing speed is not the matter.

TIA for your help
Ulrich Bangert

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:14 pm

Hi Ulrich,

Can you please read this article about optimizing TeeChart's performance? If it doesn't help don't hesitate to post your questions here.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

ulliban

Post by ulliban » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:03 pm

Hi Narcis,

first of all many thanks to you as your link solved the problem.

Is was an issue of setting the xvalues.order property to loNone to make adding points again really fast. Silly enough: I do realtime charting with TeeChart since many years now and i know i read this document some years ago!

But i was not more aware that it also contained THIS information. So it was not completely alone the case of RTFM!

Thanks again and my best regards
Ulrich Bangert

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:06 pm

Hi Ulrich,

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear it helped solving your problems.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum