pie chart lables don't survive export?

TeeChart for ActiveX, COM and ASP
mpaulson

pie chart lables don't survive export?

Post by mpaulson » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:24 pm

Hi:

I'm a 5.x customer, considering upgrading to version 8. I'm evaluating a multiple pie chart graph and discovered that when pie charts are labeled (i.e. one label per pie), these labels don't seem to survive the export process -- they don't show up in the exported graphic file (jpg, bmp, etc.). Is there a way to make this work correctly?

Also, I'm having trouble making sure that the labels aren't obscured by the other pies. Is there a way to control the size of pies without zooming the entire graph, which renders the marks too small to read?

Thanks,

Matt

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:35 am

Hi Matt,
I'm a 5.x customer, considering upgrading to version 8. I'm evaluating a multiple pie chart graph and discovered that when pie charts are labeled (i.e. one label per pie), these labels don't seem to survive the export process -- they don't show up in the exported graphic file (jpg, bmp, etc.). Is there a way to make this work correctly?
I'm not 100% sure about which is the exact problem. However, using v8 you can export a pie chart to an image and their marks are still visible. If that's not the reported issue please give us some more information.
Also, I'm having trouble making sure that the labels aren't obscured by the other pies. Is there a way to control the size of pies without zooming the entire graph, which renders the marks too small to read?
You may be interested in checking out the solutions suggested here:

http://www.teechart.net/support/viewtopic.php?t=5160
http://www.teechart.net/support/viewtopic.php?t=560

They have been implemented using other TeeChart versions but the same should be available with TeeChart ActiveX.

Hope this helps!
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

mpaulson

Post by mpaulson » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:36 pm

Hi:

With regard to the first question:

I'm not talking about the marks (pie-slice labels, multiple per pie), I'm talking about the label that names the entire pie. These are the labels that don't survive the export to a graphics file.

With regard to the second question:

The links you provided don't address the issue I'm asking about:

The "per-pie" labels are obscured by OTHER pies. How can I change the scale of the pies without making everything smaller -- like the marks (pie-slice labels)?

Finally, I have one other question (sorry):

Is is possible to display marks (multiple per pie) as a name and a value? Like: "Apples (101)". Or do I just set the text as I see fit when I call the "add" procedure?

Thanks,

Matt

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:46 pm

Hi Matt,
With regard to the first question:

I'm not talking about the marks (pie-slice labels, multiple per pie), I'm talking about the label that names the entire pie. These are the labels that don't survive the export to a graphics file.
Could you please send us a simple example project we can run "as-is" to reproduce the problem here? You can either post your files at news://www.steema.net/steema.public.attachments newsgroup or at our upload page.

Thanks in advance.
With regard to the second question:

The links you provided don't address the issue I'm asking about:

The "per-pie" labels are obscured by OTHER pies. How can I change the scale of the pies without making everything smaller -- like the marks (pie-slice labels)?
Could you also please send un example for this?
Finally, I have one other question (sorry):

Is is possible to display marks (multiple per pie) as a name and a value? Like: "Apples (101)". Or do I just set the text as I see fit when I call the "add" procedure?
Yes, this is possible using series marks, for example:

Code: Select all

TChart1.Series(0).Add Rnd, "slice 1", clTeeColor
    TChart1.Series(0).Add Rnd, "slice 2", clTeeColor
    TChart1.Series(0).Add Rnd, "slice 3", clTeeColor

TChart1.Series(0).Marks.Visible = True
    TChart1.Series(0).Marks.Style = smsLabelValue
Marks can also be customized using OnGetSeriesMark event.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

mpaulson

Post by mpaulson » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:20 pm

Hi:

Thanks for the quick response.

I have determined that the entire track I'm heading down is unworkable. I have to allow any number of pies (say up to 20) at a time. There's really no good way to scale everything so there's no overlap under every circumstance. So let's drop my scaling questions for now. Thanks.

With regard to the pie name not surviving the export -- I'll try to create a simple test case also, but I think I can find away around that problem also.

I have another question, but I think I'll post it in new thread.

Thanks!

Matt