WebChart - Best to Use

TeeChart for ActiveX, COM and ASP
Bush

WebChart - Best to Use

Post by Bush » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:47 pm

Hi,

Pls, i would like to create a dynamic chart with plenty features on internet.
I know we can use the activeX and a small cab is downloaded on first access. The problem however with downloading are security issues on XP and Vista + Difficulties with customers using Fireworks.

Which product do you recommend us to use : VCL, ActiveX, .NET?
Or have you a reliable solution to avoid the activeX download/install.
Are php calls possible when using the selected object?

Kind Regards.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:25 am

Hi Bush,

This may depend on the level of interactivity you want for your chart. Here are each TeeChart version characteristics:

VCL: To use in internet applications you'll have to use it with Intraweb components and is as functional as is in a VCL forms applications. You can find TeeChart for Intraweb packages here.

ActiveX: With this version you can have live chart objects at the browser. The inconvenient may be that you have to download, at least, the small .cab. However this will only be the first time you run the application at the client.

.NET: This version doesn't offer such a great level of interactivity, even with v3 we have included AJAX support. We are working on increasing it's interactivity with the user and in most cases, the client needs to call and retrieve an image from the server upon users interaction. You can see a live demo here.

Java: This is the newest TeeChart version and thus the one which has less features. Anyway, this is another good option to obtain a live object at the browser. You can find a live demo here.
Are php calls possible when using the selected object?
ActiveX controls may be used with PHP. You can find some documentation at:

Syntax for creating Com objects in PHP:
http://www.php.net/manual/es/class.com.php

FAQ for COM objects in PHP (note that COM events aren't handled in PHP)
http://www.php.net/manual/es/faq.com.php

Hope this helps!
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

Bush

Post by Bush » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:06 pm

Dear Narcís,

Mny thx your great reply, i hope this message will support other forum users as well.
One additional question bc i spoke of fireworks :oops: instead of Firefox.

ActiveX, seems to have the most features (like VCL) and it seems to be the logic choice, when you are used to work with ActiveX.
Pls, is the ActiveX compatible with Firefox?
and can the .cab be replaced with a classic setup.exe containing the (selfregistering) ocx which is inside the cab

Kind Regards.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:33 pm

Hi Bush,
Mny thx your great reply, i hope this message will support other forum users as well.
You're very welcome.
One additional question bc i spoke of fireworks instead of Firefox.
No problem :wink:.
ActiveX, seems to have the most features (like VCL) and it seems to be the logic choice, when you are used to work with ActiveX.
Pls, is the ActiveX compatible with Firefox?
v8 VCL, ActiveX (v8 is expected to be out soon) and v3 .NET versions almost have the same features. However, ActiveX controls are not supported in FireFox unless you use the plug-in here. However, using this plug-in doesn't seem to be an easy task as support for newer Firefox versions is pending. Other version don't have any problem with Firefox.
and can the .cab be replaced with a classic setup.exe containing the (selfregistering) ocx which is inside the cab

The cabinet (.cab) is automatically registered when it's being downloaded for the first time as told in Tutorial 18 - TeeChart runtime installation requirements. Anyway, if you prefer, you can create your own .cab self-installer.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum