not enough memory when using teechart for a long time

TeeChart for ActiveX, COM and ASP
SVMan

Post by SVMan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:19 pm

Hi

When we use a teechart for a long time, the memory usage increases on the client machine. After a certain time limit we get the message
"Not enough storage available to process this command" or "Not enought memory". I have a stand alone code which can I send in by zip file which you can use it reproduce the behavior and resolve the issue.

Let me know.

Regards,

Ravi

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:56 am

Hi Ravi,

Yes please, send us a simple example project we can run "as-is" to reproduce the problem here.

You can either post your files at news://www.steema.net/steema.public.attachments newsgroup or at our upload page.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

SVMan

Post by SVMan » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:13 pm

Hi Narcis,

Thanks for your quick reply. I have uploaded the file as test.zip at the upload page link provided by you.

I have also included a Readme file in the zip file too along with a bmp image of the error which occurs.

Regards,

Ravi

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:51 am

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for the example. We are doing some tests here and could reproduce the issue here but the memory usage didn't increase as much as you reported. We are using latest TeeChart Pro v8 ActiveX release, which TeeChart version are you using?

We will continue investigating the issue to see if we can find what's causing it.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

SVMan

Post by SVMan » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:07 pm

Hi Narcis,

Thanks for continuing to test the issue. We are using TeeChart version 7.0.1.1 version. Also the client machine where we could reproduce the issue easily has 256MB RAM and 400MHz CPU. On the higher end machines it takes a longer time to reproduce the issue.

Let me know.

Regards,

Ravi

SVMan

Post by SVMan » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:28 pm

Hi Narcis,

Did you have a chance to test it on a lower end machine to reproduce the issue?

Let me know.

Regards,

Ravi

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:36 am

Hi Ravi,

We have run many repeated cyclicle tests. We haven't yet reached any clear conclusion but we would like you if possible, to run tests on your machine using the test file that we cut down based on your original file. Your test asp file does lose memory here, substantial quantities over several days (we increased the repeat cycle to accelerate symptoms). If we remove references to non-Chart elements (our attached test file) and repeat the test we are unable to provoke significant memory loss. Please could you confirm whether or not the behaviour change is similar in your test environment.

I'll send you an e-mail with the mentioned test files.

BTW: Could you please run your tests using TeeChart Pro v7.0.1.4, which is latest v7 release available? You'll find what was fixed for this version on the release notes.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

SVMan

Post by SVMan » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:42 pm

Hi Narcis,

Thanks for replying and for sending the test files. Here is what one of my colleagues who did the testing found out:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I tested Steema’s test case and the problem is the same. In order to see the problem they should do the following:

· Start Performance from ‘Administrator Tools’.

· Delete all selected counters.

· Click the + tool bar icon to add a counter.

· Select the Memory Performance Object

· Select the Pool Paged Bytes counter

· Click the Add button

· Click the Close button

· At the bottom of the screen select the Pool Paged Bytes counter, right mouse click and select properties.

· Change the default scale from .00001 to .000001 or some smaller scale to move the counter to between 0 and 100.

· Start the simple chart test.

We have duplicated the problem in at least three different environments and have had several customers report the problem. The memory usually does not seem to increase right away. It sometimes to take 40 minutes or more, but then the memory will start to increase. Once the increase starts it will continue to increase with each redisplay of the chart until you get a not enough memory error. If you delete the browser Window the paged pool memory will be released so the OS has associated the memory with the browser process.

----------------------------------------------------------
Let me know what you can suggest.

Regards,

Ravi

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Marc » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:36 am

Hello Ravi,

After extensive tests with TeeChart AX v7.0.1.4 we were unable to reproduce the memory problems you describe, tracked Pool Paged Bytes did not vary significantly over several days of continuous tests. To double-check, we rolled back to v7.0.1.1 and within one day's test cycle the memory loss problem was apparent. We need you to check whether v7.0.1.4 has been installed on your machines as we suggested. Any machines running IIS processes that load TeeChart require that IIS to be completely stopped and started (not just the webserver) to free a prior version of TeeChart from IIS cached memory.

Regards,
Marc Meumann
Steema Support