Uniquely identifying a series

TeeChart for ActiveX, COM and ASP
SSkov

Uniquely identifying a series

Post by SSkov » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:40 am

Hello,

using TeeChart ActiveX version 7.0.1.4, I am trying to maintain a link between my TeeChart series and my application-specific plot extensions. This link needs to be persistent, i.e. I must be able to save the TeeChart state to a .tee file and save the extensions state to another file, and still maintain the link when I load these files again.

Currently I am using the ISeries::Name property to store a unique key, which is also stored in my extension object, thus providing the link between the TeeChart series and my extension objects.

My question is then: Does the TeeChart use the ISeries::Name property internally? It does not seem to have any visual effect.

If TeeChart does not use this property internally, I am curious as to why it puts limitations on the format of the string i provide to it - specifically, it seems to get upset when I provide a string containing a GUID/UUID (e.g. 550e8400-e29b-41d4-a716-446655440000). It seems that I am not allowed to specify a string beginning with a numerical character. Also, (as far as I remember) it does not like '-', while '_' is fine.

This is not a big issue for me, but I get a bit insecure in what I am doing, when I see the TeeChart responding like this. I basically just want to know if I can continue using the Name property of ISeries as a place to store my application-specific value, or if there are any better place to store this.

Thank you for your help.
Best regards

Steffen Skov
Senior Consultant
SPT Group

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:58 pm

Hi Steffen,

Yes, that's because of variable naming limitations in the VCL framework. TeeChart Pro ActiveX is a COM wrapper of the VCL version. You can use series name as you do but for using such characters you'd better use Series.Title.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

SSkov

Post by SSkov » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:41 am

Hi Narcís,

thank you for your reply.

As far as I can see, the value of the Series.Title attribute is displayed in the chart legend (maybe this can be avoided, but I did not immediately find out), so I am currently using that for more human readable purposes.

I am pretty certain that I can work around the constraints on the characters in the Series.Name attribute. I just want to make sure that using the Series.Name attribute for this purpose will not blow up in my face at some later stage.

Thanks for your help!
Best regards

Steffen Skov
Senior Consultant
SPT Group

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:30 am

Hi Steffen,
As far as I can see, the value of the Series.Title attribute is displayed in the chart legend (maybe this can be avoided, but I did not immediately find out), so I am currently using that for more human readable purposes.
You can customize legend's text using the OnGetLegendText event.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum