Out of System Resources problem

TeeChart for ActiveX, COM and ASP
lmb

Post by lmb » Wed May 31, 2006 8:27 pm

Hi,

We are using TeeChart Version 6.0 and we get the error "Out of System Resources" error message pop up window which appears infinite times, when a user open a teechart in multiple browsers one on top of the other. Only way to stop this error message is to kill all the browsers which are opened up. We had this issue in TeeChart version 5.0 also. Let me know if Steema is planning to solve the problem or if there will be a service pack available to resolve this problem.

Regards,

Ravi

Pep
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pep » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:51 am

Hi Ravi,

we did some investigations about this problem with the TeeChart Pro v7.03 and here is the conclusion we found :
- Related problem with "Out of system resources error using TeeChart in ASP page"

1. Resource issue when connecting to file based (mdb) datasources.
2. Resource issue when resizing TeeChart in a browser page during cascade/un-cascade operations whilst having open several/many such pages.

Description

1. File based (mdb) datasources
High resource utilisation has proved to be an issue when connecting to file based (mdb) datasources. Previous tests have shown that the same or greater load when applied to an integrated dataserver (eg. MS's SQL Server) does not suffer from similar resource limitations. We recommend the use of that type of database for applications where multiple access/high load to a database is expected.

2. Resizing TeeChart during cascade/un-cascade operations
We can reproduce this issue. The problem occurs as a TeeChart internal bitmap is being copied and requesting a windows handle during a TeeChart resize operation in a child Internet
Explorer window (here during the cascade/un-cascade tests). In tests to date the problem seems to be limited to IE windows opened, as child windows (ie. Ctrl-N from an existing Window).
In independently opened IE browsers and in Windows Form-based apps the problem doesn't appear to occur. The problem occurs at a low Windows level that makes it difficult for us to resolve the problem in TeeChart, not at least without further investigating alternative techniques to achieve the required result. If the Chart isn't resized the problem shouldn't occur and that has proved to be the case in tests here to now - feedback on this would be useful. To avoid resize Charts can be fixed size instead of percentage sized.

eg.
<width="400" height="300">
instead of
<width="100%" height="75%">

For regular TeeChart browser applications, where the need to load and resize multiple child browser windows at a time is not necessary, the continued use of % sizing shouldn't be a problem.

Conclusions

1. (mdb files) The issue is long-standing and related to resource use managed outside of TeeChart.
The recommended solution remains the use of a server-based database server.

2. (internal bitmaps) We are further investigating a fix to this issue that we feel is related to an IE resource management deficiency. For the moment we recommend the workaround described above.

lmb

Post by lmb » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:38 pm

Hi Joseph

Thanks for your reply.

I want to clarify following points which you have put in.

1) We are using SQL server database and not a mdb file
2) When resizing the Teechart we are using the absolute values by getting the window width and height on the client side.

Let me know what other things I need to check on other than the above as our customer is not very happy about this problem.

Regards,

Ravi

lmb

Post by lmb » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:30 pm

Hello Joseph,

My name is Bill and I’m Ravi’s manager. I would like to confirm the urgency of a fix for this issue. We have a very demanding user that insists on being able to launch child windows to run his charts. I understand his argument that this is a valuable time saver for his him. Suggesting that he open independent browser sessions has been negatively received. I would like to add some urgency in receiving a fix or, possibly receiving an alternative work around to those already proposed. Do you have any type of timetable for fixing this issue that I could pass along? If not, is there someone I can speak with to state our case? Thanks in advance for your understanding on this issue.

Thanks,
Bill

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Marc » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:05 pm

Hello Ravi,

This may not be related to the multiple instance issue that was looked at for Internet Explorer. We'll need to try and reproduce your setup.

- How are new IE Windows being opened? (via code or via menu, 'New Windows'?)
- Are you able to send us a small sample project that could reproduce the problem?

With thanks.
Regards,
Marc Meumann
Steema Support

lmb

Post by lmb » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:10 pm

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your reply.

--->How are new IE Windows being opened? (via code or via menu, 'New Windows'?)

The new IE windows are being opened by user from the IE menu
File --> New --> Window

I have been able to reproduce this issue on a machine containing 256MB of RAM on Windows 2003 server machine. This issue does not seem to occur on a machine which has 2GB RAM.

Steps to Reproduce the problem:
-------------------------------------
1)Open a browser with the teechart displayed.
2)Now open a child window using File --> New --> Window option on the IE menu.
3) Now resize the new window a few times by keeping the first window open in the background all the time.
4) You will start getting the message "Out of System Resources" pop up window an infinite number of times. Only way to get out of this is to kill the browser containing the TeeChart.

Our code is in an application, so I will not be able to send you that sample. If you are unable to reproduce on a 256MB RAM machine, let me know so that I can try to create a sample code.

Regards,

Ravi

jonz

more info "out of system resources" with resize

Post by jonz » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:06 pm

I ran into the same exact problem. I'm using the latest version of the teechart activex, v7.0.1.3.

Two additional observations.

1) The workaround "To avoid resize Charts can be fixed size instead of percentage sized." ...
does not work!

2) It depends on how the new window is created. If you start to take off menubars, toolbars, etc. it will crash, and even before it crashes it's evident from the repaint of the underlying window. I've included a simple example below which demonstrates the crash. You can also simulate this by opening the popup with all bars on, i.e. when you do the window open pass an empty string for the features, and then remove toolbar or menubar via menu and then resize. It will crash.. The more things you take away the easier and faster it will crash.

As noted, if the parent window doesn't

Here's an example, I called it "simple-tee-chart-bug.html" and it is self referential (i.e. you must call it this if you want it to work).

ciao
Jon

---------------------------------------

<html>
<head>
<script>
function test(features){ window.open("simple-tee-chart-bug.html","",features); }
</script>
</head>
<body>
<A HREF="javascript:test('status=1,location=1,resizable=1,titlebar=1,menubar=1,scrollbars=1,toolbar=1')">OK [status=1,location=1,resizable=1,titlebar=1,menubar=1,scrollbars=1,toolbar=1]</A><BR/>
<A HREF="javascript:test('status=0,location=0,resizable=1,titlebar=0,menubar=0,scrollbars=0,toolbar=0')">FAST CRASH [status=1,location=0,resizable=1,titlebar=1,menubar=1,scrollbars=1,toolbar=0]</A><BR/>
<A HREF="javascript:test('status=1,location=0,resizable=1,titlebar=1,menubar=1,scrollbars=1,toolbar=0')">CRASH [status=1,location=0,resizable=1,titlebar=1,menubar=1,scrollbars=1,toolbar=0]</A><BR/>
<A HREF="javascript:test('status=1,location=1,resizable=1,titlebar=1,menubar=1,scrollbars=1,toolbar=0')">CRASH [status=1,location=1,resizable=1,titlebar=1,menubar=1,scrollbars=1,toolbar=0]</A><BR/>
<OBJECT width="100%" height="100%" id=ib style="LEFT: 0px; TOP: 0px" classid="CLSID:FAB9B41C-87D6-474D-AB7E-F07D78F2422E"></OBJECT>
</body>
</html>