Cannot register TeeChart ocx on Windows XP

TeeChart for ActiveX, COM and ASP
J

Post by J » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:19 pm

Hello,

I am unable to register version 5 TeeChart Activex component on a Windows XP (with service pack 2) machine. (It registers just fine on Windows 2000.)

I reviewed Tutorial 18 - TeeChart runtime installation requirements.

In a DOS window, I perform the following steps as Administrator:
cd windows\system32
regsvr32 teechart5.ocx

I get an error dialog that says: LoadLibrary("TeeChart5.ocx") failed. Get LastError returns 0x0000007e. This error code means that the COM object file could not be loaded, because the file could not be found. I looked at the dependencies of TeeChar5.ocx using Dependency Walker and found that all the files it listed are on the system in the c:\windows\system32 dirctory.

If I specify the full path to teechart5.ocx, by typing
regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\TeeChart5.ocx

then I get an error dialog that says: Unable To Locate Component. This application has failed to start because olepro32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem. After closing that error dialog, then the first error dialog appears.

olepro32.dll is in the c:\windows\system32 directory.

The PATH environment variable includes C:\WINDOWS\system32.

I get the same error messages when I try registering versions 5.0.5.0, 5.0.6.0, or 5.0.7.0 of the ocx file.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

J

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:37 pm

Hi J,

It works fine for me here in a Win XP Professional with SP 2 machine.

I just used:

regsvr32 e:\Steema\TeeChartAX\v5\Teechart5.ocx

Where the path is where I had the v5 .ocx stored.

Can you try doing that? BTW: You shouldn't have the ocx file in a path with blank spaces on it as regsvr32 may not accept it.

If you want I can also send you the .ocx I used for that.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

J

Post by J » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:00 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I placed the TeeChart5.ocx file in the C:\WINDOWS\system32 directory, and this is the path that I specified in the command. No spaces are in the path.

What version .ocx file worked for you? The versions I quoted in my earlier post were obtained from the File Properties. If you think your .ocx file is different, then you could send me your file.

Any suggestions on what to try?

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:13 am

hi J

i am also a custumer of the TChart5.OCX ,but i have never met what you said in the XP sp2.

it 's ok to regsvr32 the TChart5.OCX. perhaps there are some wrong with your operating system. check whether it has been short of some file.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:43 am

Hi J,

I used TeeChart5.ocx version 5.0.6.0. Have you installed the very same .ocx file in other machines? It may be that hasn't been properly uncompressed or downloaded. You could try downloading it again.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

J

Post by J » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:41 pm

Hello,

Yes, I am using the very same .ocx file on all machines.

I have an additional data point for you to consider:
* Running the 5.0.6.0 Full Version Installer (TeeChart5Activex.exe) works on the XP machine. There is no error during install and applications that use TeeChart work.

That installer appears to be for the Development installation. Is there an installer for a Runtime installation? What might the Installer be doing different than the manual regsvr32 instructions in Tutorial 18 for a Runtime installation?

The installer created an install.log file that I reviewed. Possible items of interest:

File Overwrite: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Lpng.dll
The Lpng.dll file the installer is using matched the original file, so I assume this is not related to my issue.

File Overwrite: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Msoutl32.ocx
The Msoutl32.ocx file the installer is using matched the original file, so I assume this is not related to my issue.

Self-Register: C:\Program Files\TeeChart Pro v5 ActiveX Control\TeeChart5.ocx
Self-Register: C:\Program Files\TeeChart Pro v5 ActiveX Control\TeeChart5VBCtl.ocx
Self-Register: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Msoutl32.ocx

Tutorial 18 only mentioned running regsvr32 for TeeChart5.ocx and not TeeChart5VBCtl.ocx nor Msoutl32.ocx. However, given the order of the 3 items in the install log, I assume this is not related to my issue.

What does "self-register" mean? Is it equivalent to "regsvr32 ocxfilename" ?

Thank you,

J

Pep
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pep » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:16 am

Hi,
That installer appears to be for the Development installation. Is there an installer for a Runtime installation?
No, you should use the steps mentioned in the TeeChart Pro 7 Tutorials - 18 - TeeChart runtime installation requeriments
What might the Installer be doing different than the manual regsvr32 instructions in Tutorial 18 for a Runtime installation?
The installer does not do nothing special apart of install all the other contents (like examples, tutorials, etc..).
What does "self-register" mean? Is it equivalent to "regsvr32 ocxfilename" ?
Yes, regsvr32 is used to register the components. You should be able to do it manually.

Have you tried to register it on more than one machine with the same system ?

Looking at the MS Troubleshooting, the cause of the error you receive seems to be that "the COM object file could not be loaded, because the file could not be found". Check the name of the COM object file to check that it has been correctly specified. Check that the COM object is in the current directory or specify the full path to the file. If a path component is supplied to the call then check that the COM object file exists there.